Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A movie, play, or broadcast program that combines elements of drama and comedy.
- ‘In late March she wowed White Party-goers with a surprise performance, and she's just wrapped a lesbian assassin role in a caper dramedy, Gigli, alongside fellow friend-of-friends-of-Dorothy Ben Affleck.’
- ‘Forrest Gump was a long, historical dramedy that further blurred the line of time.’
- ‘Now he's in front of the cameras again in a daring dramedy opening this Friday.’
- ‘Perfect Opposites is just what its title suggests: a forgettable little romantic dramedy that thinks it's more clever and original than it is.’
- ‘He still gets high marks for ambition - only Brooks would attempt to stuff a study of race and class divisions in Los Angeles and a surprisingly raw portrait of familial breakdown into the confines of a mainstream dramedy.’
- ‘This is a nice little character study and a watchable dramedy.’
- ‘Who is so artist friendly that they spend $70 million on a Cameron Crowe period dramedy?’
- ‘As the dramedy unfolds, Drew finds a new purpose in life and falls for flight attendant Claire Colburn.’
- ‘It's one of those ghastly dramedies that misses the mark by a country mile.’
- ‘Boasting characteristically dry Aussie wit, the first half of the film is a decent, dark dramedy.’
- ‘Yes, I know this does sound pretty far-fetched - not the first far-fetched thing in this story, but hey it's a romance dramedy - but this is actually somewhat plausible!’
- ‘Gross co-wrote, stars in and directed the dramedy about love, life and curling.’
- ‘Also looking good are This Is Wonderland, a dramedy set in Toronto's lower courts that debuts on CBC Jan. 12, and Paul Gross' Slings and Arrows, a backstage theatre romp whose first season repeats on The Movie Network in February.’
- ‘The best actor is joining Laura Linney in the dramedy for Fox Searchlight Pictures, which is being written and directed by Tamara Jenkins.’
- ‘This story may be a romantic dramedy, but it was originally supposed to be a drama.’
- ‘The Oscar-nominated dramedy, directed by the legendary Stanley Donen, stars Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney as a couple dealing with the trials and tribulations of a rocky marriage.’
- ‘I've watched and loved the unabashedly girly dramedy Gilmore Girls from its very first episode, which's an accomplishment considering it's been on the WB for four years now.’
- ‘It's not a dramedy, but the characters have a sense of humour about themselves.’
- ‘It's yet another example of something that would be better called a dramedy, if that wasn't a horrible perversion of a word that I would never use in a review.’
- ‘In the coming-of-age dramedy Whole New Thing, cowritten by and costarring out Canadian Daniel MacIvor, a precocious 13-year-old falls for his promiscuous gay teacher.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.