One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pipe for carrying off rainwater or liquid refuse from a building.
- ‘Cut another piece of drainpipe that fits between the elbow on the wall and 1 foot above the ground.’
- ‘A suspended ceiling in the town's social welfare office collapsed after water burst from a drainpipe on the roof of the building.’
- ‘The second method is a little more practical - our main concern is that people will climb up our drainpipe to the balcony (we live on the street side of the building).’
- ‘Excess water drains out the bottom pot into a pan of gravel that sits on top of a drainpipe to take the excess solution to the landscape cistern as described earlier.’
- ‘The rat had entered the under-sink cabinet from below, through the open space around the drainpipe, and had been feasting on our garbage.’
- ‘If the air is dirty, there must be a missing scrubber on a smokestack or a drainpipe that needs a filter.’
- ‘This allows you to drive the snake deeply into the drainpipe.’
- ‘Okay, I understand her parents getting mad when she shimmies down the drainpipe from her second-story room on weekends to go party with friends, but one B + is nothing.’
- ‘Set the new floor bolts in plumber's putty and insert them through the flange, adjusting the bolts so they line up with the center of the drainpipe.’
- ‘Tracy pointed at a drainpipe leading down the side.’
- ‘When the drainpipe terminates outside the building it can be installed in a fully visible location, such as at the front porch or along a common walkway.’
- ‘Quickly scaling up another two floors, Alanis took her hands off the drainpipe, reached up and grasped the gutter above her head, then flipped herself onto the roof.’
- ‘The noise you hear is toilet effluent running down the drainpipe inside the wall.’
- ‘If you are putting a new drainpipe on the side of your wall, and the drainpipe covers the street sign that is on the side of the wall, what do you do?’
- ‘The valve should allow a burst of hot water into the drainpipe.’
- ‘Kim carried on down the drainpipe and when she reached the end of the guttering, she glanced around to see if there was anyone in the surrounding streets.’
- ‘Is there a drainpipe that diverts water from the base of the wall to the street?’
- ‘The drainpipe's opening was 60 centimeters wide.’
- ‘In a recent column, you stated that the drainpipe for a water heater must terminate at the exterior of a building, even when the water heater is installed in a garage.’
- ‘This third type, called controlled drainage, allows the grower to set the drainage outlet at any level between the ground surface and the drainpipe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.