One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sloping grooved board or surface on which washed dishes are left to drain into an adjacent sink; a drainboard.
- ‘Two cans of Barkeeper's Friend - the only cleaning powder that really works on metal sinks and draining boards.’
- ‘The magpie had now decided that one dessert spoon was not going to satisfy and had hopped onto my draining board and perched on top of a pot that was full of just washed cutlery.’
- ‘Weeks when dishes have spread like a fungus across the draining board.’
- ‘It looks a bit strange sitting on the draining board next to the 7 large brown hens eggs from today.’
- ‘Such families also are guaranteed to leave badly washed dishes and pots on the draining board despite the presence of a dishwasher.’
- ‘She gestured at carefully piled plates and bowls stacked on shelves and bluebell-patterned cups and saucers gleaming on the draining board by the sink.’
- ‘This time I fumbled at exactly the wrong moment, dropped the little syringe and knocked the bottle over, depositing warm oil all over the draining board.’
- ‘The dishes all had to be ferried to the bathroom, washed and then brought back again to drain on the draining board.’
- ‘In these homes there is never more than a couple of mugs on the draining board, the ironing basket never contains more than three garments and the car keys are never lost.’
- ‘Dolly the cat was sitting on the draining board in the kitchen.’
- ‘You stack the silverware, the plates, the glasses away neatly in their designated places, wipe down the sink and the draining boards and give a big sigh.’
- ‘In an interview he said he had then picked up a vegetable knife from the draining board, hoping to deter the man.’
- ‘It is so cramped that files sit on the draining board on the small sink behind her desk.’
- ‘The dirty dishes stood on the draining board, a sad reminder of my age-diminished enthusiasm for housekeeping.’
- ‘The ‘Fairy’ was used for such jobs as getting grime out of clothing, washing the draining board of the sink, and cleaning the necks of you boys visiting on holiday!’
- ‘Stainless steel kitchen sinks with deep washbowls and grooved draining boards, made washing up much easier after a meal.’
- ‘This was my sentiment before I returned home last night to discover that the builders had ripped out the boiler, filled the kitchen sink with sawdust and left a half-eaten doughnut on the draining board.’
- ‘Kind of like having a right-hander's kitchen where the draining board is on the left of the sink and the cutlery draw is to the right.’
- ‘Having used the teaspoon to make your cup of tea or coffee don't just leave it in a cup of cold water or lying on the draining board.’
- ‘Put it on your kitchen draining board with one end trailing into a water-filled sink and stand your plants upon it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.