Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A boat of a traditional Chinese design, typically decorated to resemble a dragon, propelled with paddles by a large crew and used for racing.
- ‘The opening of the three-week-long festival, which will end on Sept.23, was marked with a traditional dragon boat race.’
- ‘Teams are preparing to go full throttle up the river in traditional dragon boat style with drummer at the bow and helmsman at the stern.’
- ‘These days, dragon boat racing is a fast-growing athletic event around the globe.’
- ‘Organisers of the annual Chinese dragon boat race at Coate Water believe they are in for a bumper year.’
- ‘An events programme - including narrow boat gathering, dragon boat racing and raft races - could also be organised to encourage visitors to the riverbanks.’
- ‘Speaking after paddling in a dragon boat the first time, sixteen-year-old form three student Lam said he enjoyed the programme's outdoor activities.’
- ‘But in the proud tradition of past Navy dragon boat teams, the youthful Cerberus outfit showed they were up to the challenge, achieving the third-fastest time of the day.’
- ‘After being welcomed by the school's band and touring classrooms, the Aussies and Germans combined with villagers from Longxi to form an 80 man dragon boat crew.’
- ‘The dragon boat regatta, which will take place from 9am till 5pm, brings together 22 teams from around the city, as well as five provincial teams.’
- ‘It will mark the first time in US history that the capital city has seen a dragon boat in action, and the race will, organizers hope, become a major annual attraction in the nation's capital.’
- ‘Navy Physical Training is entering a dragon boat team in the Canberra Day Regatta on March 8, with 20 crew members required and no experience necessary.’
- ‘He said that although the dragon boat race is a traditional Chinese sport which is popular in the southern part of the country, a contingent of expats in the city are interested in the sport.’
- ‘From this was born the tradition of dragon boat racing, as people living in South China made it an annual event, racing boats to commemorate that day.’
- ‘Liu built the dragon boat that will be paddled by his peers.’
- ‘Among the sports which could be encouraged are sailing, waterskiing, dragon boat racing, power boating, sub-aqua and cruising.’
- ‘Up against teams from Gove and Darwin, the Tindal crew won all three 200m races to claim the dragon boat trophy, which was last won by the base in 2000.’
- ‘Thousands of people braved the hot weather and flocked to beaches yesterday to celebrate the Tuen Ng Festival with traditional dragon boat races.’
- ‘As with every team, most of this crew will disband, as every year brings a new side together, while he is also likely to end his association with the dragon boat team due to a new posting.’
- ‘The increasingly popular Chinese tradition of dragon boat racing commemorates the suicide of Qu Yuan, a revered Chinese poet who threw himself into the Mi Luo River in 278 B.C.’
- ‘The dragon boat regatta is a traditional 1.2-mile race.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.