One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boat of a traditional Chinese design, typically decorated to resemble a dragon, propelled with paddles by a large crew and used for racing.
- ‘From this was born the tradition of dragon boat racing, as people living in South China made it an annual event, racing boats to commemorate that day.’
- ‘He said that although the dragon boat race is a traditional Chinese sport which is popular in the southern part of the country, a contingent of expats in the city are interested in the sport.’
- ‘An events programme - including narrow boat gathering, dragon boat racing and raft races - could also be organised to encourage visitors to the riverbanks.’
- ‘The opening of the three-week-long festival, which will end on Sept.23, was marked with a traditional dragon boat race.’
- ‘The increasingly popular Chinese tradition of dragon boat racing commemorates the suicide of Qu Yuan, a revered Chinese poet who threw himself into the Mi Luo River in 278 B.C.’
- ‘Thousands of people braved the hot weather and flocked to beaches yesterday to celebrate the Tuen Ng Festival with traditional dragon boat races.’
- ‘Teams are preparing to go full throttle up the river in traditional dragon boat style with drummer at the bow and helmsman at the stern.’
- ‘But in the proud tradition of past Navy dragon boat teams, the youthful Cerberus outfit showed they were up to the challenge, achieving the third-fastest time of the day.’
- ‘Organisers of the annual Chinese dragon boat race at Coate Water believe they are in for a bumper year.’
- ‘Liu built the dragon boat that will be paddled by his peers.’
- ‘The dragon boat regatta, which will take place from 9am till 5pm, brings together 22 teams from around the city, as well as five provincial teams.’
- ‘It will mark the first time in US history that the capital city has seen a dragon boat in action, and the race will, organizers hope, become a major annual attraction in the nation's capital.’
- ‘Navy Physical Training is entering a dragon boat team in the Canberra Day Regatta on March 8, with 20 crew members required and no experience necessary.’
- ‘After being welcomed by the school's band and touring classrooms, the Aussies and Germans combined with villagers from Longxi to form an 80 man dragon boat crew.’
- ‘These days, dragon boat racing is a fast-growing athletic event around the globe.’
- ‘Up against teams from Gove and Darwin, the Tindal crew won all three 200m races to claim the dragon boat trophy, which was last won by the base in 2000.’
- ‘Speaking after paddling in a dragon boat the first time, sixteen-year-old form three student Lam said he enjoyed the programme's outdoor activities.’
- ‘Among the sports which could be encouraged are sailing, waterskiing, dragon boat racing, power boating, sub-aqua and cruising.’
- ‘As with every team, most of this crew will disband, as every year brings a new side together, while he is also likely to end his association with the dragon boat team due to a new posting.’
- ‘The dragon boat regatta is a traditional 1.2-mile race.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.