One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large horse used for pulling heavy loads, especially a cart or plow.
- ‘The two-dimensional ploughman appears entirely from the outside, just like his draft horses.’
- ‘Using draft horses and old implements for farming would not appeal to the modern farmer who uses air conditioned cabs on each tractor or self propelled combine.’
- ‘The students' task was to design and build a wind shelter for the ranch's Belgian draft horses.’
- ‘The earliest I can recall was when I was 2 years old and my grandmother put me on a horse, an old draft horse type at her farm in southern Minnesota.’
- ‘Livestock on a typical farm might include draft horses, beef cattle, milk cows, and hogs.’
- ‘He patted the great neck of one of the draft horses.’
- ‘Common sense confirms that you cannot start with little Shetland ponies and try to select for Clydesdale draft horses - the information just isn't there anymore!’
- ‘At the home ranch, they built a reputation raising registered Shorthorn and Hereford cattle as well as Thoroughbred and draft horses.’
- ‘There he shoed draft horses, fixed freight wagons, made repairs to machinery, and fabricated iron parts as needed.’
- ‘For several years I farmed with draft horses and found that they could compete with the most modern farm equipment on a per unit basis.’
- ‘I've also always loved those gigantic draft horses, like percherons and clydesdales and whatnot.’
- ‘He crossed racehorses with draft horses, creating a breed that could leap hurdles at least six-feet high.’
- ‘Most of the teamsters hired were farmers or men who had the necessary teams of mules and draft horses available to cope with this demanding job.’
- ‘Belgian farmers breed some of the finest draft horses in the world, including the famous Percherons.’
- ‘The Fellows use draft horses to spread manure, rake hay, and move fences, water, firewood and hay around the farm.’
- ‘Their average 15 hand size, a size rarely found in a true draft horse, makes the horse the perfect all-around horse.’
- ‘I thought I heard a hundred draft horses stampeding through it.’
- ‘Back in the heartland of India, farmers, tired of the farming life and dreaming of the glory of soldiers decide to try to use their draft horses in combat.’
- ‘There will be clinics, hay days, plowing matches, farm shows and the annual show that brings in the draft horse folks from all over the state of Texas.’
- ‘Still, a week later the draft horses were so exhausted they were set free, the wagons left to rot in the bush.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.