One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has avoided compulsory military service.
- ‘On Earth violent criminals and draft dodgers weren't the only kinds of people that ended up here.’
- ‘Well I mean, first of all during the Vietnam War, Canada accepted draft dodgers but also deserters.’
- ‘I found it very interesting that in essence he admitted to being a draft dodger…’
- ‘Was the current commander-in-chief a draft dodger?’
- ‘Canada benefitted greatly from the influx of draft dodgers during the Vietnam debacle.’
- ‘There's worse things you can be than a draft dodger.’
- ‘For the first time in his country's history a draft dodger could get a girlfriend, he explained.’
- ‘You claim that Rush Limbaugh is a draft dodger who avoided Vietnam because he had a ‘pimple on his rear.’’
- ‘Yes, we had slackers, draft dodgers and antiwar advocates, but they got short shrift, little attention and almost no press.’
- ‘The discontent spread to the army from which deserters joined draft dodgers in gangs that attacked government supply trains and raided plantations.’
- ‘He himself was a draft dodger who came to Canada to avoid the Vietnam War.’
- ‘Ali was also considered by many to be a draft dodger.’
- ‘There is only one group that likes the idea of conscription less than future draft dodgers: the military.’
- ‘Last but not least, there is the experience of the Vietnam War, when tens of thousands of US draft dodgers and deserters found asylum in Canada.’
- ‘As a Quaker, the American was jailed during the Vietnam War for flying draft dodgers to Canada and Mexico.’
- ‘A policeman and a draft board employee scour their district for draft dodgers, who utilize all possible means to avoid military service.’
- ‘He is a draft dodger who was often AWOL.’
- ‘Officials have said he is a draft dodger.’
- ‘They are following in the footsteps of tens of thousands of military deserters and draft dodgers who went to Canada during the Vietnam War.’
- ‘Here he is with Hanoi Jane, in the front lines with the flag burners and draft dodgers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.