One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A board of civilians that is responsible for registering, classifying, and selecting people for compulsory military service.
- ‘Additionally, late last year, the Selective Service issued a call for volunteers to help fill local draft boards.’
- ‘By the time he reported to the draft board he'd already published short stories and sketches in The New Yorker and was working as a Broadway rewrite man.’
- ‘The authors then looked at intelligence data for 3044 of the sons, whose IQs were measured by military draft board intelligence tests at the age of 18 to 19.’
- ‘Andrew went to the local draft board pleading hardship asking them to excuse Thomas from military service, his reason being since he was an only son and farming a vital occupation his presence was essential for national defense.’
- ‘After my graduation in July 1942, I enrolled in the School of Church Music, and notified my Missouri draft board of my move.’
- ‘Guard units across the country contacted draft boards every Sept.15 to update them on the status of local Guard members.’
- ‘At the draft board he was curtly told by the examining doctor to get lost.’
- ‘He registered with the draft board as a conscientious objector, and was granted CO status, which meant he didn't have to go, and he really did not want to.’
- ‘The vet was right - my son was not being raised to be a soldier, and someday Adam might need to show his draft board the photo we'd just taken to prove that fact.’
- ‘You took letters and an X-ray to your draft board because you had an unfused vertebra in your back, but then you went skiing for the next year.’
- ‘The Selective Service System wants to hear from men and women in the community who might be willing to serve as members of a local draft board.’
- ‘Three years later, in 1972, however, I moved three miles and didn't tell my draft board.’
- ‘They put out a call on a Web site that circulates in military families asking for volunteers for those draft boards.’
- ‘In 1968, when his draft board refused to grant him conscientious objector status, Moses left the country.’
- ‘Last fall, a small notice was posted - and later removed - from a Department of Defense website, seeking applicants to fill positions on 2,000 local draft boards nationwide.’
- ‘The administration is reviving draft boards.’
- ‘Although the total number is unknown, accounts of local draft board proceedings in states bordering Canada are filled with references to men fleeing to Canada to avoid conscription.’
- ‘Instead of a call to service delivered via the local draft board, the commander in chief made a point of easing the burdens of citizenship.’
- ‘The U.S. Selective Service System is looking for a few good volunteers to serve on local draft boards.’
- ‘Military testing standards were lowered, high school dropouts became eligible for service, and draft boards and recruiters were encouraged to overlook criminal justice offenses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.