Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A broad-spectrum antibiotic of the tetracycline group, which has a long half-life in the body.
- ‘Antibiotic treatment for 3-4 weeks with doxycycline or amoxicillin is generally effective in early disease.’
- ‘More importantly members of tetracycline family (tetracycline, oxytetracycline, doxycycline, and minocycline) were found to be effective against worms.’
- ‘Treat chlamydia with oral tetracycline, doxycycline, or erythromycin for 2 weeks.’
- ‘That a common antibiotic, doxycycline, used to treat malaria, acne, and other infections could cause increased intracranial pressure is not a recent revelation.’
- ‘Treatment with doxycycline or tetracycline is indicated for Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and relapsing fever.’
- ‘Tetracyclines such as doxycycline are helpful in milder illnesses.’
- ‘The anti-malarial antibiotic doxycycline - which most of us are taking - has the unfortunate side effect of making our skins hypersensitive to the sun.’
- ‘Treatment of early localized Lyme disease typically involves a course of the oral antibiotics doxycycline or amoxicillin administered for 3 to 4 weeks.’
- ‘Agents such as tetracycline, doxycycline or erythromycin are reasonable choices.’
- ‘Eight trials were included in the analysis, and three antibiotics were studied: erythromycin, doxycycline and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.’
- ‘Unless cervical screening for chlamydia has been performed, prophylactic antibiotics such as doxycycline and metronidazole should be given to minimise the risk of infection developing after the procedure.’
- ‘Penicillin, tetracycline and doxycycline are all equally as good against anthrax as is Cipro.’
- ‘Antibiotics of choice might include ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, gentamycin, or streptomycin.’
- ‘Tetracycline, doxycycline, or sulfamethoxazole taken on a daily basis may reduce the risk of plague.’
- ‘Rare but serious side effects are more common in patients taking minocycline than in patients treated with tetracycline or doxycycline.’
- ‘Even when they suspect mycoplasma infection, the standard course of treatment is usually in the form of antibiotics such as tetracycline or doxycycline, for several months.’
- ‘Oral antibiotics used for the treatment of acne include tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, and erythromycin.’
- ‘At the onset of symptoms, most patients will be treated empirically with tetracycline, doxycycline, or chloramphenicol to cover for other tick-borne diseases.’
- ‘The gene was tuned off by simply feeding mice the antibiotic doxycycline.’
- ‘Treatment is usually with the antibiotics doxycycline, erythromycin or azithromycin.’
1960s: from d(e)oxy- + tetracycline.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.