One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad-spectrum antibiotic of the tetracycline group, which has a long half-life in the body.
- ‘Unless cervical screening for chlamydia has been performed, prophylactic antibiotics such as doxycycline and metronidazole should be given to minimise the risk of infection developing after the procedure.’
- ‘The anti-malarial antibiotic doxycycline - which most of us are taking - has the unfortunate side effect of making our skins hypersensitive to the sun.’
- ‘Antibiotic treatment for 3-4 weeks with doxycycline or amoxicillin is generally effective in early disease.’
- ‘Tetracyclines such as doxycycline are helpful in milder illnesses.’
- ‘Treat chlamydia with oral tetracycline, doxycycline, or erythromycin for 2 weeks.’
- ‘That a common antibiotic, doxycycline, used to treat malaria, acne, and other infections could cause increased intracranial pressure is not a recent revelation.’
- ‘At the onset of symptoms, most patients will be treated empirically with tetracycline, doxycycline, or chloramphenicol to cover for other tick-borne diseases.’
- ‘Eight trials were included in the analysis, and three antibiotics were studied: erythromycin, doxycycline and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.’
- ‘More importantly members of tetracycline family (tetracycline, oxytetracycline, doxycycline, and minocycline) were found to be effective against worms.’
- ‘Oral antibiotics used for the treatment of acne include tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, and erythromycin.’
- ‘Treatment is usually with the antibiotics doxycycline, erythromycin or azithromycin.’
- ‘Treatment of early localized Lyme disease typically involves a course of the oral antibiotics doxycycline or amoxicillin administered for 3 to 4 weeks.’
- ‘Rare but serious side effects are more common in patients taking minocycline than in patients treated with tetracycline or doxycycline.’
- ‘Tetracycline, doxycycline, or sulfamethoxazole taken on a daily basis may reduce the risk of plague.’
- ‘Antibiotics of choice might include ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, gentamycin, or streptomycin.’
- ‘The gene was tuned off by simply feeding mice the antibiotic doxycycline.’
- ‘Even when they suspect mycoplasma infection, the standard course of treatment is usually in the form of antibiotics such as tetracycline or doxycycline, for several months.’
- ‘Penicillin, tetracycline and doxycycline are all equally as good against anthrax as is Cipro.’
- ‘Treatment with doxycycline or tetracycline is indicated for Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and relapsing fever.’
- ‘Agents such as tetracycline, doxycycline or erythromycin are reasonable choices.’
1960s: from d(e)oxy- + tetracycline.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.