One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bacterial antibiotic that is widely used to treat leukemia and various other forms of cancer.
- ‘The patient was started on chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and dacarbazine administered as a continuous 7-day infusion, repeating every 21 days.’
- ‘The patient is currently undergoing further evaluation for chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, vincristine, doxorubicin and prednisone.’
- ‘In this case, the patient had lymphoma and was treated with a single course of chemotherapy (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone).’
- ‘Most standard protocols use doxorubicin and cisplatin, with or without high-dose methotrexate, for both induction and adjuvant chemotherapy.’
- ‘The patient completed 4 cycles of combination chemotherapy consisting of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine sulfate, and prednisone.’
- ‘Trials have demonstrated threshold dose effects for two of the most active chemotherapeutic agents, doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide.’
- ‘Combined chemotherapy, including cyclophosphamide, vincristine, doxorubicin, and prednisolone, was performed on the basis of clinical diagnosis as a lymphoma relapse.’
- ‘She was then placed on an investigational chemotherapeutic protocol, which involved a nine course of sequential high dose doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide.’
- ‘Human lung-cancer cells were treated with the chemotherapeutic agent doxorubicin, which causes cellular DNA damage.’
- ‘Chemotherapy usually consists of a combination of agents, such as hexamethylmelamine, doxorubicin, cisplatin, carboplatin, and paclitaxel.’
- ‘Adjuvant therapy, multidrug chemotherapy was carried out with methotrexate, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone.’
- ‘The patient was treated with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone chemotherapy starting in August 1998.’
- ‘For the study, 101 participants were treated with doxorubicin alone.’
- ‘Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.’
- ‘Leukemia lines resistant to either doxorubicin, vincristine, methotrexate, or hydroxyurea were tested.’
- ‘The patient was treated with adjuvant chemotherapy consisting of doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide for 4 cycles; she handled the treatment well.’
- ‘Cytotoxic antibiotics, such as doxorubicin, stick to DNA causing it to become tangled and preventing the cell from dividing.’
- ‘He received treatment with multiagent chemotherapy that consisted of vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and prednisone.’
- ‘Specifically, liposomal doxorubicin is being used to treat certain forms of cancer, while liposomal amphotericin B treats fungal infections often associated with aggressive anticancer treatments.’
- ‘Prostate cancer cells were treated with silibinin and doxorubicin, either alone or in combination, and cell growth was determined by manual cell counting.’
1970s: from deoxy- (in the sense ‘that has lost oxygen’) + Latin rubus ‘red’ + -mycin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.