One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.‘hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures’
- ‘The posting doxes Moore's personal information, including date of birth, address, phone number, and more.’
- ‘Some rival hackers had "doxed" him, posting a detailed dossier of his family, including their home address and the name of the college his sister attended.’
- ‘None of the trolls have been doxed or banned or even warned.’
- ‘Who is going to dox these quotes?’
- ‘Either way, none of this will give anonymity back to the users who were effectively doxed.’
- ‘Perhaps the greatest threat is their contacts with other hackers who are more than willing to dox them.’
- ‘Do a little searching online and you come across an attempt to dox Aush0k.’
- ‘He ruined lives in his quest to dox a Twitter account parodying him.’
- ‘I'm disappointed Newsweek decided to dox them.’
- ‘I threw caution to the ether and doxxed myself.’
Early 21st century: alteration of docs, plural of doc (short for document).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.