One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad depression of the earth's surface.
- ‘For several generations of geologists the name of J. D. Dana was associated with the concept of the geosyncline, an elongated downwarp in the Earth's crust in which a great volume of sediments accumulated.’
- ‘The WIlkes Front architecture consists of thin, extended crust forming the Victoria Land Basin in the Ross Sea, the TAM rift shoulder, and a long-wavelength downwarp forming the Wilkes Basin.’
- ‘This study demonstrates that, while largely absent from cratonic areas, Chokierian strata are probably widespread in North America, typically in foreland basins and other tectonically-forced downwarps.’
- ‘Minor downwarp of reflectors over the edge of some concave-down features is noted, as in the case of the reflection associated with the base Tarrant Chalk Member.’
- ‘We report here refined techniques for obtaining Pb-Pb and Th-Pb ages that are consistent with biostratigraphic constraints on the age of the sediments and Rb-Sr constraints for an episode of fluid escape during basin downwarp.’
Displace (a rock formation) downward so as to form a depression.
- ‘The palaeoplain was downwarped, creating the Great Divide and a new continental shelf on which marine sediments accumulated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.