Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light placed or designed so as to throw illumination downward.
- ‘It is lit by recessed downlighters and fitted with polished wooden floorboards and another cast-iron fireplace.’
- ‘Four beats after curtain rises, bump downlights to full wattage; they're boom lights rigged to the top of the stage.’
- ‘Having a ceiling with downlighters in a kitchen, for example, requires more wires and planning than a centrally-placed pendant light.’
- ‘Have one wall completely covered with a sheet of mirror (check the size first to make sure you can get it into the flat), then use ceiling recessed downlighters to cast light down the mirror.’
- ‘At night, the building's silver aluminum soffit is lit with high-energy, high-efficiency uplights, and the lower-level walls are lit by wall-wash downlights recessed around the perimeter.’
- ‘The sitting room has a Le Droff fireplace with slate hearth; it is lit by recessed downlighters.’
- ‘Dimmers have a minimum load rating, and so if only one or two low-voltage downlights are set on one dimmer, and that dimmer is turned down to a minimum, it may cause the bulbs to flicker and the switch will emit an irritating humming noise.’
- ‘A glazed extension now creates a light, airy interior, while chrome recessed downlighters set the mood after dark.’
- ‘You could use just downlights or two-by-four fixtures to light the space and get functional light, but it wouldn't feel like anything; it wouldn't feel as if you had arrived someplace.’
- ‘However, tilting downlights or installing a series of lights on a frame which swivel at will (called a gimble) offer more flexibility.’
- ‘Both the Terra B and Terra C models come fitted with three double plug sockets, a heater socket, a telephone connection, four internal downlighters and two external lights as standard.’
- ‘This type of lighting can be supplied by table or floor lamps, uplights, downlights, spotlights and hanging lights.’
- ‘The quality is underscored by a combination of strategic artificial lighting, including downlights for the clients' art collection and general purpose uplighting.’
- ‘Today the contemporary kitchen is one of the key spaces in the flat, with George having fitted bespoke Italian units with roll-top work surfaces, stainless-steel appliances and halogen downlighters.’
- ‘The ballroom has track lighting with conical downlights.’
- ‘The kitchen has a tiled splash back wall, a sink unit, pine ceiling with downlighters, integrated Zanussi dishwasher, colonial cooker hob and extractor fan and door to the rear garden.’
- ‘The grey boxes, which protrude slightly from the panel, are inset with downlighters and display a curious assortment of objects, both old and new.’
- ‘The uplighting within the three halls can be boosted with downlights as needed; however, there is less natural lighting than the architects had intended.’
- ‘Despite the low ceilings, it's very airy and floods with light from halogen downlighters.’
- ‘Each apartment has gas-fired central heating, a full range of integrated appliances, low voltage downlights and uplighters and Avoco hardwood doors based on the original design.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.