One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light placed or designed so as to throw illumination downward.
- ‘Have one wall completely covered with a sheet of mirror (check the size first to make sure you can get it into the flat), then use ceiling recessed downlighters to cast light down the mirror.’
- ‘Both the Terra B and Terra C models come fitted with three double plug sockets, a heater socket, a telephone connection, four internal downlighters and two external lights as standard.’
- ‘Dimmers have a minimum load rating, and so if only one or two low-voltage downlights are set on one dimmer, and that dimmer is turned down to a minimum, it may cause the bulbs to flicker and the switch will emit an irritating humming noise.’
- ‘Today the contemporary kitchen is one of the key spaces in the flat, with George having fitted bespoke Italian units with roll-top work surfaces, stainless-steel appliances and halogen downlighters.’
- ‘The kitchen has a tiled splash back wall, a sink unit, pine ceiling with downlighters, integrated Zanussi dishwasher, colonial cooker hob and extractor fan and door to the rear garden.’
- ‘Each apartment has gas-fired central heating, a full range of integrated appliances, low voltage downlights and uplighters and Avoco hardwood doors based on the original design.’
- ‘Four beats after curtain rises, bump downlights to full wattage; they're boom lights rigged to the top of the stage.’
- ‘You could use just downlights or two-by-four fixtures to light the space and get functional light, but it wouldn't feel like anything; it wouldn't feel as if you had arrived someplace.’
- ‘However, tilting downlights or installing a series of lights on a frame which swivel at will (called a gimble) offer more flexibility.’
- ‘At night, the building's silver aluminum soffit is lit with high-energy, high-efficiency uplights, and the lower-level walls are lit by wall-wash downlights recessed around the perimeter.’
- ‘A glazed extension now creates a light, airy interior, while chrome recessed downlighters set the mood after dark.’
- ‘The sitting room has a Le Droff fireplace with slate hearth; it is lit by recessed downlighters.’
- ‘The uplighting within the three halls can be boosted with downlights as needed; however, there is less natural lighting than the architects had intended.’
- ‘Despite the low ceilings, it's very airy and floods with light from halogen downlighters.’
- ‘This type of lighting can be supplied by table or floor lamps, uplights, downlights, spotlights and hanging lights.’
- ‘It is lit by recessed downlighters and fitted with polished wooden floorboards and another cast-iron fireplace.’
- ‘The ballroom has track lighting with conical downlights.’
- ‘The grey boxes, which protrude slightly from the panel, are inset with downlighters and display a curious assortment of objects, both old and new.’
- ‘The quality is underscored by a combination of strategic artificial lighting, including downlights for the clients' art collection and general purpose uplighting.’
- ‘Having a ceiling with downlighters in a kitchen, for example, requires more wires and planning than a centrally-placed pendant light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.