Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light placed or designed so as to throw illumination downward.
- ‘Each apartment has gas-fired central heating, a full range of integrated appliances, low voltage downlights and uplighters and Avoco hardwood doors based on the original design.’
- ‘It is lit by recessed downlighters and fitted with polished wooden floorboards and another cast-iron fireplace.’
- ‘This type of lighting can be supplied by table or floor lamps, uplights, downlights, spotlights and hanging lights.’
- ‘The kitchen has a tiled splash back wall, a sink unit, pine ceiling with downlighters, integrated Zanussi dishwasher, colonial cooker hob and extractor fan and door to the rear garden.’
- ‘The sitting room has a Le Droff fireplace with slate hearth; it is lit by recessed downlighters.’
- ‘Have one wall completely covered with a sheet of mirror (check the size first to make sure you can get it into the flat), then use ceiling recessed downlighters to cast light down the mirror.’
- ‘The ballroom has track lighting with conical downlights.’
- ‘Today the contemporary kitchen is one of the key spaces in the flat, with George having fitted bespoke Italian units with roll-top work surfaces, stainless-steel appliances and halogen downlighters.’
- ‘At night, the building's silver aluminum soffit is lit with high-energy, high-efficiency uplights, and the lower-level walls are lit by wall-wash downlights recessed around the perimeter.’
- ‘Four beats after curtain rises, bump downlights to full wattage; they're boom lights rigged to the top of the stage.’
- ‘Dimmers have a minimum load rating, and so if only one or two low-voltage downlights are set on one dimmer, and that dimmer is turned down to a minimum, it may cause the bulbs to flicker and the switch will emit an irritating humming noise.’
- ‘Despite the low ceilings, it's very airy and floods with light from halogen downlighters.’
- ‘A glazed extension now creates a light, airy interior, while chrome recessed downlighters set the mood after dark.’
- ‘You could use just downlights or two-by-four fixtures to light the space and get functional light, but it wouldn't feel like anything; it wouldn't feel as if you had arrived someplace.’
- ‘The grey boxes, which protrude slightly from the panel, are inset with downlighters and display a curious assortment of objects, both old and new.’
- ‘Both the Terra B and Terra C models come fitted with three double plug sockets, a heater socket, a telephone connection, four internal downlighters and two external lights as standard.’
- ‘Having a ceiling with downlighters in a kitchen, for example, requires more wires and planning than a centrally-placed pendant light.’
- ‘The quality is underscored by a combination of strategic artificial lighting, including downlights for the clients' art collection and general purpose uplighting.’
- ‘However, tilting downlights or installing a series of lights on a frame which swivel at will (called a gimble) offer more flexibility.’
- ‘The uplighting within the three halls can be boosted with downlights as needed; however, there is less natural lighting than the architects had intended.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.