One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverbNorth American
In or to a position nearer to the opponents' end of a field.
- ‘The final pass was intercepted and swept downfield for him to apply the finish, a chance at one end, a goal at the other within seconds.’
- ‘They're taking calculated shots downfield and guys are making plays.’
- ‘He passed me the ball, and I took it downfield before being cut off by second-string defense player Oliver.’
- ‘It was a lateral that was supposed to set up a pass downfield.’
- ‘A few minutes later, Gloucester launch a huge kick downfield.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.