One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in sports, especially basketball) to or into the opposite end of the court.
- ‘This is not about frenetic fullcourt pressure or whippet-quick guards causing turnovers and dashing downcourt with abandon.’
- ‘After it splashed through, giving Chicago an 88-87 lead, Jordan held his form for a second and then turned downcourt.’
- ‘Minutes later, a long pass sails downcourt, and Curry, standing in the middle of the free-throw lane, dashes to his left to intercept.’
- ‘When Posey reached the far baseline boxed in with nowhere to go, the catlike Oliver batted the ball away, grabbed it, and bounded back downcourt.’
- ‘Rodriguez walks downcourt as if nothing had happened.’
- ‘He wants him to push the ball downcourt at every opportunity, taking advantage of his and Terry's speed.’
- ‘This press is also hurt when Y3, Y4 or Y5 flash into the heart of the diamond, receive pass, then pass out to either sideline where players are breaking downcourt.’
- ‘Then you would go downcourt, put up a quick shot, then you're back playing defense for another 40 seconds.’
- ‘But unless Lynch is knocking down his shot - something he rarely does - it will allow Rose to gamble on defense and get downcourt quickly.’
- ‘There is plenty of time to get the ball downcourt.’
- ‘Diener selects from a buffet of possibilities each trip downcourt.’
- ‘That's easier said than done because the 7-footer is as likely to bring the ball downcourt as settle along the baseline or high on the key and wait for the pass.’
- ‘At one point in the third quarter, as the Sonics were bringing the ball downcourt on offense, he took his mouthpiece out as he crossed half court so he could start spewing smack at Collins the rest of the way.’
- ‘In the NBA today, one team scores, everyone runs back downcourt, and they don't turn around until they get to the top of the key.’
- ‘Seemingly, the Soviets took the ball out, threw a futile long pass downcourt and the horn sounded ending the game.’
- ‘That line sends a man all the way downcourt while the 3 man weave is in progress.’
- ‘After he missed a jump shot with less than a minute left, Williams grabbed the rebound and found Carter downcourt for a dunk that gave Toronto a 73-67 lead.’
- ‘The big man dribbles it downcourt through two defenders, dishes to Arenas and gets it back for an extremely thunderous reverse… layup.’
- ‘With such an athletic and dynamic offensive team as yours, do you have any plans to outrun a zone and beat the defense downcourt?’
- ‘Define a lane downcourt, perhaps 12-15 feet wide (use whatever markings are on the floor).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.