Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An initial payment made when something is bought on credit.
- ‘A turnkey package would be offered in return for a down payment and a share of the profits.’
- ‘If you agree to assume those liabilities however, you can reduce your out-of-pocket down payment by that much.’
- ‘My down payment was my first month's pay cheque.’
- ‘This money helps first-time home buyers - people with very little income or with limited income - to get down payments to get into houses.’
- ‘He already had the initial down payment on this job, another $500,000, in one of his accounts.’
- ‘Companies are also building cash in ways that don't show up in profits, including such maneuvers as cutting inventories, demanding quicker payment from customers, and slowing down payments to suppliers.’
- ‘Take out a mortgage with a small down payment and a low adjustable rate.’
- ‘The Jacobses found a federally funded program that helped them with their down payment.’
- ‘If you're not ready this year, start by fixing your credit and saving small amounts toward your down payment.’
- ‘The Alternative State Income Mortgage is for self-employed borrowers with high credit quality and large down payments.’
- ‘We used that money to make down payments on two more similar properties.’
- ‘Of those in the unwilling category, 31.3% thought the down payments were so high they might as well pay full price.’
- ‘In fact, a higher down payment on the larger property allows you to finance the exact amount of mortgage loan you can afford.’
- ‘But details of how big the initial down payment will be, and how fast the total will rise, have yet to be decided.’
- ‘That compares with the 20% down payments common just a few years ago.’
- ‘The report also said continued auto-promotion campaigns featuring low interest rates, low down payments and long installment periods also contributed.’
- ‘On June 13, the People's Bank of China issued a circular, saying commercial banks should limit lending to real estate developers, beef-up credit management and increase down payments to be paid by buyers of second or luxury homes.’
- ‘We have mortgage insurance on less than 20% initial down payments and mortgage pool insurance on many of the others.’
- ‘The goal is two-fold: to increase her retirement savings and to increase savings for a down payment on a home.’
- ‘You may need money for down payment only or for down payments and few additional installments too.’
down payment/ˈˌdoun ˈˌpāmənt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.