One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Defeated by being knocked to the canvas and unable to rise within ten seconds.
- ‘Despite the seemingly ‘can't miss’ premise, Southpaw is knocked down early in the first round, and, once on the mat, it's out for the count.’
- ‘This was the first time Harmon had been knocked down let alone down for the count.’
- ‘Liston lies out for the count, while Ali stands taunting him.’
- ‘Mike Tyson was out for the count him in the fourth round at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky.’
- ‘He backed up a bit to allow himself some room, but Kahn pressed on, swinging in a flurry of combinations as he attempted to nail Aouri and knock him down for the count.’
- 1.1 Unconscious or soundly asleep.
unconscious, comatose, knocked out, inert, insensible, senseless, insensate, insentientView synonyms
- ‘Her feet kicked up and hit Sean backwards sending him into a tree knocking him out for the count.’
- ‘An apparent clash of heads in the tackle left the inspirational Kiwi out for the count and he was in no state to play any further part.’
- ‘He lay down in another room, finally out for the count.’
- ‘She rammed into the back of the man whose head she had just covered, knocking him out for the count, coming to a halt in front of him, still on her feet as he fell.’
- ‘It knocked him upside the head and he was down for the count.’
- ‘With Miles down for the count, I expected some peering into how a coach completely reshapes his game plan, but that was absent here.’
- ‘As the in - flight movie, Legally Blonde, played mutely on aeroplane screens, Reid was given two more injections - to make sure he was out for the count.’
- ‘We see the other astronauts, already out for the count, in their sealed sleep bubbles.’
- ‘I'm under the covers for less than five minutes before I'm out for the count.’
- ‘It's a nice morning on the Vancouver set of ‘Elektra,’ but Garner's laying flat on her back, down for the count.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.