Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Connected with an unpretentious way of life, especially that of rural peoples or areas.‘some good down-home cooking’
snug, comfortable, warm, restful, homelike, homey, homely, cheerful, welcoming, pleasant, agreeableView synonyms
- ‘There was plenty of down-home cooking, performances by drag queens, and awards given to various members.’
- ‘Mazama's best eats are at the Freestone - think pecan-crusted trout - but for down-home chow, try the Burnt Finger Bar-B-Q.’
- ‘But she is the essence of that contemporary noise, her job is down-home, Texas spin.’
- ‘Enter the club's driveway between the Duron Paints store and the entrance to Kelly Drive or follow your nose to the smoky down-home barbecue.’
- ‘A bowl of shiny red apples suggests comfort food and good down-home cooking.’
- ‘They're just kind of very kind of down-home kind of folks.’
- ‘The idea was to create a hip neighborhood restaurant that would serve good Southern-style cooking to upscale customers at down-home prices.’
- ‘I think those down-home, basic, economic issues are going to pull people one way or the other.’
- ‘Take your taste buds on a tour of the most succulent seafood and down-home cooking.’
- ‘Ida Mae Kitchen-n-Lounge brings down-home southern cooking north, then gives it a decidedly Manhattan twist.’
- ‘We are naturally drawn toward down-home imagery and the feeling of being connected to something larger than ourselves.’
- ‘Well, I was visiting my relations in the warm, down-home community of Springfield, MO, Queen City Of The Ozarks.’
- ‘Here's a down-home version of the Southwest classic that's easy and unpretentious and hits the spot - perfect for a meal that's often eaten out of a Frito bag.’
- ‘But The Shack by The Track's appeal is more than down-home cooking.’
- ‘But down-home flavors won out when the coach and friends shared Chocolate S'mores Cake for dessert.’
- ‘He is an actor who has it all: down-home folksiness and art-house weight, megaplex sex appeal and a deep sense of complex characters.’
- ‘There has been nothing subtle about the arrival of down-home Southern cooking in London.’
- ‘Mills works as a sawyer in Tennessee, and his poems have the kind of down-home intelligence that comes from a man listening to people talk.’
- ‘It gives you an outstanding collection of arts and cultural venues, fine dining, and good down-home cooking.’
- ‘Life at Iron Horse is a hybrid between the international sophistication of Paris and the down-home country life of rural Sonoma County.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.