One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small fried cake of sweetened dough, typically in the shape of a ball or ring.
- ‘Members of the 24th Squadron brought cakes, doughnuts and jelly for the pupils.’
- ‘If the menu doesn't say you're getting a cake doughnut, assume it's made with yeast.’
- ‘For simple fare, try sugar cookies, doughnuts, muffins or coffee cake with coffee and cocoa or hot spiced cider.’
- ‘There was ice cream, Jello, cream puffs, pies, doughnuts, coconut cake.’
- ‘Neighbors hosted two events, one with coffee and doughnuts and another with desserts.’
- ‘Cake, doughnuts and chocolate are the favourite snacks of many workers, with just seven per cent preferring healthy options such as fruit.’
- ‘The only foods that you need to avoid are the ones that have no redeeming value, just empty calories - such as doughnuts and onion rings.’
- ‘Why do ring doughnuts only come with icing sugar on these days?’
- ‘It was between pistachio semi-freddo with chocolate ganache and Italian donuts.’
- ‘The menu mentioned toasted teacakes, scones, doughnuts, Danish pastries and flapjack.’
- ‘There's a place called the Donut Pub on West 23rd that makes confection and cake donuts.’
- ‘That turned out to be the start of an afternoon of stodgy chocolate cake, sugary donuts and a bag of free pastries from the coffee shop where they're getting to know our order before we even give it.’
- ‘Officers found 22 items of food on display past the use-by date, which included bacon, orange juice, doughnuts, fruitcake and caramel deserts.’
- ‘The assortment of homemade pastries is astonishing, ranging from simple cream-filled butter doughnuts to curry-beef buns.’
- ‘A signature dessert is coffee and doughnuts, only the coffee cup and spoon are made of chocolate and the doughnuts are tiny and sublime.’
- ‘Studies show that white-flour foods like cakes, cookies and doughnuts are the fourth largest source of saturated fats in our diets.’
- ‘We came down the back stairs and went over to the breakfast bar where there were doughnuts, English Muffins, coffee, milk, and tea.’
- ‘These little brioche doughnuts are filled with a chocolate ganache, which melts in the centre and oozes out as you bite into them.’
- ‘For dessert, give in to cliches: Order chocolate cake or donuts.’
- ‘Do not buy anything - candy, chips, doughnuts, Pop-Tarts, cookies or soda from a vending machine.’
- 1.1 A ring-shaped object, in particular a vacuum chamber in some types of particle accelerator.
- ‘Joining the remaining pair of sides turns the cylinder into a doughnut, or torus (right).’
- ‘One unusual machine shoots a donut of compressed air.’
- ‘It is endlessly turning upon itself, a torus, a doughnut, spinning on the axis of the circular cylinder that is the doughnut.’
- ‘The sides of the magnetic donuts also were draped, allowing the neurosurgeon to work within a sterile field.’
- ‘The whirring and spinning of the laser mechanism within the donut gives the impression of being inside a washing machine.’
- ‘So what are those stunted metal tube donuts called ball bearings for anyway?’
- ‘This cannot be done round a doughnut, however, because the rubber band would reach the stage where it is constricted round the ring of the doughnut and cannot shrink any further.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.