One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small syringe for douching the vagina, especially as a contraceptive measure.
2North American informal An obnoxious or contemptible person (typically used of a man).
- ‘Why do you date that douchebag?’
- ‘Actually, they just acted like douche bags.’
- ‘But that douchebag Ron wasn't returning any of my phone calls.’
- ‘Okay - this cab driver is either a total douche bag or hasn't been driving as long as he says or both.’
- ‘The douche bags shot to stratospheric heights of superstardom, and I cringed every time I turned on Saturday Morning Live or Video Hits.’
- ‘‘Matt is the biggest douche bag in the world,’ Lily confirmed, shedding her coat and draping it over a chair.’
- ‘This illiterate douchebag just can't it through his thick head that he's in the wrong.’
- ‘She used to be close friends with everyone in the band before they were famous, but even before they were big, she thought the lead singer was a douche bag.’
- ‘He leaned in closer to her and whispered in her ear, ‘You could do so much better than that douche bag.’’
- ‘Some douche bag pilfers one of my drumsticks and then has the balls to ask me to sign it.’
- ‘Well, Bill, the resident douche bag and bully, tried to grab my clothes and flush them down the toilet.’
- ‘Who is the douche bag pasting up those goddamn ‘OBEY’ posters in our fair city?’
- ‘The guy is a huge douche bag.’
- ‘These are your typical nouveau riche douche bags bellyaching about how their ritzy lives as actresses, models, investment bankers, and hotshot video directors just don't fulfill their inner child.’
- ‘When I read posts like this, I really have to wonder, does this douchebag honestly think that this is going to work?’
- ‘My daughter overheard and then called her brother a douchebag at which point a fight a broke out.’
- ‘If that douche bag decided to think about the future instead of the present then none of this would be a problem.’
- ‘If you needed anymore evidence that this guy is a douchebag then there it is.’
- ‘Don't you know how she went crying to Noel because you're such a douche bag?’
- ‘There are several posts this week on Missed Connections that I think amply back up my hypothesis that all men are douche bags.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.