One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The playing of two notes at once on a violin or similar bowed instrument.
- ‘A fearlessly virtuosic rendering of the double stops in the cadenza capped a spectacular performance that breathed new life into a repertoire staple!’
- ‘Here, the author examines fingering choices, double stops and chords, shifting and bow changes, connecting fifths on neighboring strings, thumb position, artificial harmonics, trills and intonation, and vibrato direction.’
- ‘Ravel's Tzigane - Rhapsodie de Concert is a dazzling display piece that encompasses double stops, harmonics, pizzicatos, glissandos, and all the technical challenges of Paganini's twenty four Violin Caprices, plus a few more.’
- ‘He played with harmonics and double stops as though there had been a partner to his criminal musicality.’
- ‘This collection of Italian waltzes, polkas, mazurkas and tarantellas for solo violin is an excellent teaching tool for double stops, scales, arpeggios and style. 2-5 min. each.’
- ‘The large chords create a strong sense of harmonic rootedness, with double stops and single notes working with the natural resonance of the instrument to create a full harmonic texture.’
- ‘She practiced the double stops on the third page of the Stamitz Concerto, and then opened her case for something different.’
- ‘In the violin version, he writes double stops, pizzicato and tremolo indications and so forth, keeping with the capabilities of the violin.’
- ‘Here the demisemiquaver groups and double stops can be played by simply barring across the top two strings, and moving position as shown.’
- ‘The scores are filled with amazing runs, double stops, surprising melodic leaps and various special effects.’
- ‘Carter's cello lends the proceedings an intimate chamber jazz feel, and his arco double stops bridge the gap between chordal and melody instrument.’
- ‘This is a useful caveat for scales in major and minor tenth double stops, as there will be hands that cannot comfortably make this reach, especially below seventh position.’
Play two notes at once on a violin or similar bowed instrument.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.