One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The playing of two notes at once on a violin or similar bowed instrument.
- ‘Ravel's Tzigane - Rhapsodie de Concert is a dazzling display piece that encompasses double stops, harmonics, pizzicatos, glissandos, and all the technical challenges of Paganini's twenty four Violin Caprices, plus a few more.’
- ‘In the violin version, he writes double stops, pizzicato and tremolo indications and so forth, keeping with the capabilities of the violin.’
- ‘Carter's cello lends the proceedings an intimate chamber jazz feel, and his arco double stops bridge the gap between chordal and melody instrument.’
- ‘Here the demisemiquaver groups and double stops can be played by simply barring across the top two strings, and moving position as shown.’
- ‘This is a useful caveat for scales in major and minor tenth double stops, as there will be hands that cannot comfortably make this reach, especially below seventh position.’
- ‘A fearlessly virtuosic rendering of the double stops in the cadenza capped a spectacular performance that breathed new life into a repertoire staple!’
- ‘The large chords create a strong sense of harmonic rootedness, with double stops and single notes working with the natural resonance of the instrument to create a full harmonic texture.’
- ‘She practiced the double stops on the third page of the Stamitz Concerto, and then opened her case for something different.’
- ‘The scores are filled with amazing runs, double stops, surprising melodic leaps and various special effects.’
- ‘Here, the author examines fingering choices, double stops and chords, shifting and bow changes, connecting fifths on neighboring strings, thumb position, artificial harmonics, trills and intonation, and vibrato direction.’
- ‘This collection of Italian waltzes, polkas, mazurkas and tarantellas for solo violin is an excellent teaching tool for double stops, scales, arpeggios and style. 2-5 min. each.’
- ‘He played with harmonics and double stops as though there had been a partner to his criminal musicality.’
Play two notes at once on a violin or similar bowed instrument.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.