Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A defensive play in which two players are put out.
- ‘Despite fastballs and double plays, major league baseball games are longer than they used to be.’
- ‘If an infielder purposely drops a soft fly ball, it can easily result in a double play or triple play.’
- ‘Players will spear hard grounders with backhanded-finesse, make over-the-shoulder catches or turn double plays by leaping over oncoming base runners.’
- ‘Umpires must keep their eyes on fielders who intentionally drop line drives to create double plays.’
- ‘There is no final score, but mentions that a sensational double play in the ninth inning stopped the Cardinals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.