One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A defensive play in which two players are put out.
- ‘Despite fastballs and double plays, major league baseball games are longer than they used to be.’
- ‘There is no final score, but mentions that a sensational double play in the ninth inning stopped the Cardinals.’
- ‘If an infielder purposely drops a soft fly ball, it can easily result in a double play or triple play.’
- ‘Players will spear hard grounders with backhanded-finesse, make over-the-shoulder catches or turn double plays by leaping over oncoming base runners.’
- ‘Umpires must keep their eyes on fielders who intentionally drop line drives to create double plays.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.