One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A jump-rope game played with two long jump ropes swung in opposite directions so that they cross rhythmically.as adverb ‘three girls jumped double Dutch, the white cords whirring like an electric fan’
- ‘Learn double Dutch style and start a team.’
- ‘We were 8 or 9 at the time, and when not jumping double Dutch or playing beauty parlor, Valeria and I would spend hours on the stoop of my family's Brooklyn brownstone swapping elaborate stories about Larry.’
- ‘The story, set in Cincinatti, Ohio, focuses on Delia and Randy, good friends who attend the same middle school and have a love for double Dutch.’
- ‘I used to jump double Dutch when I was your age.’
- ‘Jump rope champions show Martha their double Dutch techniques.’
- ‘It was a time when racial discrimination wasn't as subtle, when Motown music filled the air, when young girls jumped double Dutch, ate Squirrel Nuts and Brown Cow candies and washed down the sticky sweets with NEHI sodas.’
- ‘The 50-year-old executive assistant is energized and invigorated by a weekly dose of double Dutch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.