One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roll of fatty flesh below a person's chin.
- ‘He has shallow eyes, a slight double chin, and a low nose bridge.’
- ‘Collection of fat below the chin causes gradual loss of cheek and neck definition and double chins.’
- ‘If I look real close at this old photo I can even detect the beginnings of the family double chin.’
- ‘When I looked in the mirror, I saw that my double chin was slowly disappearing.’
- ‘His unshaven face must have hid at least a dozen double chins.’
- ‘Responding to this need, beauty centres and clinics have mushroomed all over the country, offering treatment for getting rid of wrinkles, tucking in a double chin and making dark circles under the eyes fade away.’
- ‘He has taken on the look of a Buddha with the years as double chins dominate a roly-poly face.’
- ‘He has high cholesterol and the fat redistribution on his face has given him a huge double chin.’
- ‘He has watery green eyes, thinning brown hair, and a slight double chin speckled with stubble.’
- ‘Not only does this lead to an unattractive double chin, it causes tension and pain in the neck and shoulder region.’
- ‘She took care of her double chin while she was at it, and the fat under her armpits that made strapless dresses impossible to wear, and the roll of skin that showed when she bent her wrists.’
- ‘If you sit with a drooping chin, you will create an illusion of having a double chin no matter how thin you are.’
- ‘Personally, I know no clergymen with double chins.’
- ‘Over my years as a model I have been told a number of rude things about my body, like my breasts are too big, or that they are fake; that I have a double chin, a fat neck or a fold on my tummy.’
- ‘As a result, many of his models are overweight and have double chins, pot-bellies, and lots of wrinkles.’
- ‘I lost 1-2 pounds a week, and my double chin gradually disappeared.’
- ‘That an 18 year old athlete should have a double chin just a couple of months after a foot injury is a throwback to the 1980's when excess was acceptable.’
- ‘Clinics report a doubling in the number of image-conscious men who have gone under the surgeon's scalpel over the past two years, to rid themselves of flabby buttocks or double chins.’
- ‘The correct use of muscles can reshape the body, lift sagging cheeks, melt away double chins, middle-age spread and abdominal bulges, restore elasticity to the skin, iron out creepy necks and eliminate flabbiness.’
- ‘She was sure that if she reached sixty kilograms she would have a double chin, a feature of so many of her relatives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.