One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An agent who pretends to act as a spy for one country or organization while in fact acting on behalf of an enemy.
- ‘The task of counterintelligence is to figure out what the other side is doing, how they are deceiving us, what double agents they have planted in our midst.’
- ‘One, he sort of accused me of being a double agent, that I was sort of trading off secrets between both sides.’
- ‘From this came his fictional landscapes, where splits always stand out, and his empathy with figures who cross frontiers: outlaws, refugees, sliders across ideological lines such as spies and double agents.’
- ‘That's why, when she was accused of being a double agent, she felt the betrayal of the real traitor so deeply.’
- ‘It was when I challenged him about the double agent who remained his friend despite betraying his country and causing the deaths of many of their fellow spies.’
- ‘And while they described their own roles in some detail, the question of how they were recruited as double agents after their capture in England was not treated with specificity.’
- ‘A spy reveals secrets to a trusted friend who is an unsuspected double agent.’
- ‘He joins a multinational corporation in order to spy for them and is persuaded to become a double agent for a rival corporation, even though he doesn't know what they do, or what they want.’
- ‘The double agent recognises that intelligence can never be perfect, and those who hold intelligence cast a malign, powerful shadow.’
- ‘Their efforts were much hindered, as SOE's had been, by the prevalence of double agents.’
- ‘It turned out that we were fed false information by a double agent and walked straight into a trap.’
- ‘If we have done our jobs correctly, Lee should be nearly ready to betray us as a double agent.’
- ‘I am not going to be telling my secrets to double agents like you.’
- ‘What can this statement be but a lie, the action of a traitor, or a double agent?’
- ‘What about a mole being a double agent who establishes a cover long before beginning espionage?’
- ‘Much of what he sold involved US counterintelligence and electronic surveillance techniques, information on active double agents, and documents related to nuclear weapons technology.’
- ‘That's because Jack is a double agent in an intergalactic spy ring responsible for the toppling of many planetary governments.’
- ‘From time to time, every spy agency falls victim to a mole, a traitor, or a double agent.’
- ‘His activities may have accounted for up to 40 murder victims, including other double agents and informers.’
- ‘Is the tailor an agent, a double agent, an innocent or a fantasist?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.