Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Made to be lifted or held with two hands.‘a long sword with a double-handed hilt’
- ‘The hilts of Liam's sword was double-handed and wrapped in leather.’
- ‘He had been struck 20 times with a double-handed axe, a jury at Leeds Crown Court was told.’
- ‘Michael had that evening decided to take the Scierra TI 15.1 foot double-handed rod I used earlier and test it.’
- ‘Putting his swords away as well he decided to take a shield and a slightly longer sword, double-handed sword.’
- ‘Here we made the mistake of asking our ghillie, an obvious expert caster, about double-handed fly rods.’
- ‘They will wear 80 lb of full plate armour to fight with a pollaxe - a long double-handed staff with an axe-like blade.’
- ‘He gets out his double-handed sword also.’
- ‘The famed, double-handed broad axe is a late development, typical of the late 10th and 11th centuries.’
- ‘The Americans aren't into double-handed salmon rods at all.’
- ‘The fact that blanks may well be experienced by many wielding a double-handed rod matters little; it is, in fact, part of the deal.’
- ‘He drew his blade, a long, double-handed sword.’
- ‘Whilst I was doing this, the pheromone thing was working overtime, and Belinda hooked another fish, which put up an incredibly dogged fight, even under heavy pressure from the double-handed fly rod.’
- ‘There are about 30 different combat attacks and combos with double-handed axe, sword or mace.’
- ‘Clasped before her in her hands, with its point resting on the mahogany wood, was a large, double-handed broadsword - a claymore.’
- ‘The one on the right carried a large mace, whereas the leftmost one held a double-handed axe.’
- 1.1 Using both hands.‘a double-handed backhand’
- ‘On the lower and middle reaches, much of the fishing is from boats, as even the most proficient double-handed caster can barely cover half the stream; ‘harling’ large lures over the known lies is often the taking method.’
- ‘Dokic was fortunate to hold serve at the start of the second set, but in the sixth game the Yugoslav was broken again, Sharapova seizing another opportunity with a fierce double-handed forehand down the line.’
- ‘Unfortunately, her senses weren't acute enough and he delivered a double-handed blow, which slammed her to the floor.’
- ‘Her double-handed backhand is one of the legendary shots of tennis, and when she and her then fiancé Connors both won Wimbledon with the shot in 1974, it set a fashion that became a trend around the world.’
- ‘The nation breathed again, only to see Henman immediately play his worst game of the match, a wonderful double-handed backhand from the Croatian and then the weakest of volleys into the net from Henman giving Ancic the advantage once more.’
- ‘‘And you never will my friend,’ he laughed and shook hands with the American, a double-handed shake that symbolized their friendship.’
- ‘She is a young girl who carries a powerful forehand, a rock solid double-handed backhand and a drive and determination that is the hallmark of a champion on the rise.’
- ‘In fact, what clearly upset the Uzbek girl with a fancy to execute the double-handed, cross-court backhand returns was the excellent court coverage of the Thai.’
- ‘But there was no change of fortunes for the Frenchman as he continued where he had left off finding superb depth with his unorthodox double-handed forehand and backhand.’
- ‘The double-handed, ‘stirring a pudding,’ paddle stroke over the bow of the boat was easy to master.’
- ‘The hilt under the bell hand guard was long enough for a double-handed grip.’
- ‘With a big serve and a walloping double-handed backhand, Safin is apt to overwhelm opponents but Haas has some big strokes of his own and to his credit withstood the barrage.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.