One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a jacket or coat) having a substantial overlap of material at the front and showing two rows of buttons when fastened.
- ‘Standing in three-quarter view and close to the frame of the picture, he sports a silky top hat, brown double-breasted coat, flower in his button hole and cravat speared by a tie pin.’
- ‘Both look very suave in these double-breasted tuxedos from Chester and Chester.’
- ‘Should you opt for a single or double-breasted overcoat?’
- ‘See how good a man looks in a properly tailored double-breasted tuxedo with a hand-tied bowtie.’
- ‘A double-breasted jacket folds over itself in the front, while a single breasted one doesn't.’
- ‘Wear jackets open and remember this is probably the only time the extra fabric from a double-breasted jacket looks terrific when unbuttoned.’
- ‘When choosing a blazer, larger men should avoid double-breasted blazers because these will make the upper body look even plumper.’
- ‘There is a marked return to double-breasted coats, discretion at first glance giving way to luxurious linings of mink and chinchilla.’
- ‘He's wearing a blue double-breasted jacket with tea stains down the front.’
- ‘Window displays at the front of the factory - where headless dummies sport double-breasted jackets, tweed blazers and camel-hair coats - belie what is happening inside.’
- ‘It's that time of year again, when I ask myself if I should be wearing a single or double-breasted overcoat with my single-breasted suits.’
- ‘Military style has really taken the fashion world by storm in this season's men's wear, so don't be afraid to march into the office with a double-breasted suit jacket.’
- ‘To fasten a double-breasted overcoat, you'll have to lap one edge of the front well over the other.’
- ‘There are also double-breasted coats and raincoats with large collars, straight, short coats, and pea coats with a removable double collar.’
- ‘They have obviously varied in popularity throughout the years, but in general, sporting a double-breasted jacket will give you an elegant and classic look.’
- ‘I have a classic dinner jacket, a double-breasted tux, and a formal jacket with ‘mod’ styling that would make it suitable for a trip to the Grammys.’
- ‘All the coats shown were simply lovely, especially the white wool and cashmere blend double-breasted trench coat at the top of the show.’
- ‘We see him tall, trim, handsome, usually in a navy double-breasted blazer with brass buttons, the silver hair shining, a man with a senatorial look, if not presidential.’
- ‘Whether you wear single or double-breasted blazers, make sure to adjust them so they fit properly throughout your entire body.’
- ‘The double-breasted jackets and baggy, pleated trousers now only belong in the wardrobes of those facing what sociologists call the ‘mid-life crisis.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.