One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Denoting a device or product that combines two different functions.‘double-acting hydraulic shock absorbers’‘double-acting baking powder’
- ‘Powered by a double-acting hydraulic cylinder, the blade simply pushes loaded material rearward, out of the body to the fill area.’
- ‘It is essentially a double-acting press with horizontal motions rather than vertical.’
- ‘The track and suspension system is fitted with RMSh track and rubber-tyred road wheels, torsion bar suspension with hydraulic telescopic double-acting shock absorbers.’
- ‘The ball-check style of pump is typically referred to as a double-acting ball-check pump because of its ability to pump in both directions.’
- ‘These double-acting jacks use power wedge setters to seat the wedges into the anchor before retracting.’
- ‘The dual-chamber, double-acting, drug-packing ‘nanocell’ proved effective and safe, with prolonged survival, against two distinct forms of cancers-melanoma and Lewis lung cancer in mice.’
- ‘These double-acting pumps required an initial outlay of $613,000 and cost $11,600 to operate.’
- 1.1 (of an engine) having pistons pushed from both sides alternately.
- ‘But the principle of generating steam in a boiler, under pressure and using it to push pistons back and forth in two or more double-acting cylinders, is just the same.’
- ‘The booster is a simple reciprocating double-acting steam engine which is self-contained and is attached to the frame of the [trailer] truck through a three-point suspension.’
- ‘Common types of compressors are single-acting piston, double-acting piston, and centrifugal.’
- ‘Watt's innovation, the addition of a separate steam condenser and a double-acting cylinder, came to him as he attempted to repair a model of Thomas Newcomen's steam engine.’
- ‘The opposed pistons are double-acting, performing a two-stroke engine power cycle on facing ends and induction and scavenge air compression on their outside ends, all within the same cylinder bore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.