Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Ayurvedic medicine) each of three energies believed to circulate in the body and govern physiological activity.
- ‘According to Ayurvedic teaching, each of us has one of three doshas, or body types.’
- ‘This natural internal state of balance is described in terms of an important Ayurvedic concept - the doshas.’
- ‘The foundation of Ayurvedic treatment is to put the inborn dosha back in balance when it veers too far one way or the other.’
- ‘According to Ayurvedic theory, the body is composed of three doshas or humours.’
- ‘By optimizing our health through the skilful use of food, exercise and thinking, we balance and support the three vital energy forces, or doshas, of Vata, Pitta and Kapha.’
- ‘These doshas also govern the seasons of the year, with Pitta, the fire element, ruling the hot summer months.’
- ‘Tridosha defines the three fundamental doshas or principles that govern the function of our bodies on the physical, mental and emotional levels.’
- ‘Ayurveda holds that the body is governed by three basic biological principles, or doshas, that control the body's functions.’
- ‘Taking a person's pulse and telling them their dosha is unbalanced and they should eat more nuts or less spicy foods, etc., hardly shows concern for the patient as a person.’
- ‘The combination of doshas determines our body's constitution, or prakruti, which governs how we respond to events in life, emotionally and physically.’
- ‘The functioning of our body is governed by three doshas, which are kapha, pitta and vata.’
- ‘If you need to pacify one of these doshas, these aroma blends are a convenient and very pleasant way to balance your environment.’
- ‘Patients are classified by body types, or prakriti, which are determined by proportions of the three doshas.’
- ‘That is, it is appropriate for all doshas and a delicious meal for any season.’
- ‘The three doshas of Indian medicine are present in exactly the same way.’
- ‘In this issue, you'll discover your dosha, deepen your life with Sadhana practice and meditation, give your partner a Thai massage, harmonize your diet, and discover the benefits of panchakarma.’
- ‘Each of the tastes has an emotional and mental state associated with it as well; these qualities determine their effect on the doshas.’
- ‘The book concludes with two highly useful appendices: the first on food guidelines for basic doshas, or constitutional types, and the second covering herbal remedies.’
- ‘Once you have established your dosha, it is possible to use Ayurveda as a health manual, since it touches on all aspects of life, from preventative medicine, yoga and massage, to diet and even your beauty regime.’
- ‘When all of these doshas are perfectly in balance in an individual, it means that all the systems and activities of mind and body are functioning at optimal levels, and the individual, therefore, enjoys perfect health.’
Sanskrit doṣa, literally fault, disease.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.