Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Releasing or involving dopamine as a neurotransmitter. Drugs with this effect are used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease and some psychiatric disorders; some are subject to abuse.
- ‘Its primary actions alter both the dopaminergic and the opioid systems as well as other neurotransmitter systems.’
- ‘The causes of mania and depression are biochemical changes in adrenergic and dopaminergic brain messengers.’
- ‘Those who had taken levodopa or a dopaminergic agonist in the preceding two months were excluded.’
- ‘It binds to a number of receptor sites in the body, including serotonin, adrenergic and dopaminergic receptors.’
- ‘Effects of glucocorticoids on dopaminergic activity are also strongly context and regionally dependent.’
1960s: from dopamine + Greek ergon work + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.