A compound which is present in nervous tissue as a precursor of dopamine, used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.See also L-dopa
- ‘They have measured the second-order electron transfer rate constants for reactions of dopa and c-dopa melanins with various radicals.’
- ‘He was able to reverse this effect by giving the animals dopa, the amino acid precursor for dopamine.’
- ‘Since dopa is a precursor for cuticle formation and melanin biosynthesis, genes involved in monoamine metabolism also have pleiotropic effects on scleratization and pigmentation.’
- ‘The addition of norepinephrine, epinephrine, dopamine, and dopa to the cultures of E. coli resulted in increased growth when compared to non-catecholamine-supplemented control cultures.’
- ‘Betacynin biosynthesis starts by the oxidation of tyrosine to dopa by a tyrosine hydroxylase.’
Early 20th century: from German, acronym from the systematic name.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.