One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yard or garden by the door of a house.
- ‘Although on the main road the sun was shining brightly, under the trees the dooryards of the small houses were only dimly lit.’
- ‘Sometime later the boy would take the team of horses or oxen and begin to draw the wood up into the broad dooryard.’
- ‘Our lives have changed completely from one chance conversation in our dooryard.’
- ‘And at last the owner men drove into the dooryards and sat in their cars to talk out of the windows.’
- ‘I saw it over and over again, blooming bravely in dooryard gardens despite the sizzling heat on the rough, wind-swept prairies.’
- ‘We buried them just beyond the dooryard garden, on the lee side of the house from the chicken coops.’
- ‘He'd already started moving off, calling behind him, ‘That wagon's pulling into the dooryard.’’
- ‘The next morning, she was looking through the garden when she saw a familiar white truck round the corner of her drive and pull into her dooryard.’
- ‘I pushed open the little gate and walked into the dooryard with the neatly mown grass bordered by lilacs and peonies and day lilies…’
- ‘New Englanders saved weaving drafts written on the back of old letters, handmade dye books, and yarn reels carved in some farmer's dooryard.’
- ‘She drove up the small drive into her own dooryard.’
- ‘The younger one hopped in and they drove back up to the dooryard.’
- ‘Another good dooryard repellent plant could be catnip.’
- ‘Then she saw movement just in the corner of the dooryard.’
- ‘She was setting up the radio when she saw the white truck pull into her dooryard a ways away.’
- ‘He dropped her off at her dooryard and drove off.’
- ‘Others rallied to him, and a fierce fight took place in the dooryard of the house.’
- ‘They clear up the dishes in the kitchen while the rest of the family is out in the dooryard.’
- ‘The foothills were covered with white-flowering bogote trees, and rioting bougainvillea edged the dooryards of the sparse villages.’
- ‘Just as she finished setting the last stitches, she heard his footsteps in the dooryard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.