One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of the two upright parts of a doorframe, on one of which the door is hung.
- ‘With a crosscut or fast-cutting combination handsaw flat on the guide, cut out the bottom portion of your doorjamb so that when the slate is installed it will slip under the jamb.’
- ‘Sometimes, the slightest leaning of a doorjamb can cause a door to swing open or shut on its own.’
- ‘Finally exhausted, she slumped to the ground in front of his door, her face resting on the doorjamb.’
- ‘My small, blue backpack sat in between the doorjamb and the door, allowing a strip of light in.’
- ‘Other areas of concern are the tops of blinds, pelmets, high windowsills and doorjambs.’
- ‘He is revealed standing motionless just outside the door, on the side by the doorjamb, a clean towel on his folded arm.’
- ‘Her smile widened when she saw him come in through the door and lean against the doorjamb watching her.’
- ‘Use a scent to mark dangerous locations such as the corners of cables and doorjambs.’
- ‘The threshold was raised some 40 cm above the level of the new floor and was provided with a new threshold block and doorjambs.’
- ‘When the building was put up, the contractors made the doorjambs and the ceilings higher just for her arrival.’
- ‘The door opened and a blond man with deep black eyes was framed by the doorjambs.’
- ‘Hook a resistance tube to the top of a doorjamb and stand with your right side to the door.’
- ‘Spring metal weatherstripping is installed on the doorjamb next to the door stop.’
- ‘Hook a piece of exercise tubing that has a door attachment onto the lowest point of a doorjamb.’
- ‘The label usually is on the edge of the door or doorjamb, in the glove box, or on the inside of the gas cap cover.’
- ‘Turn the screw in or back it out to raise and rower the screen door until the door frame is up off the track and the door side meets the doorjamb evenly.’
- ‘Nevertheless, she helped me duct-tape opaque plastic sheets over the room's windows, closet doorjambs, light fixtures, and electrical outlets.’
- ‘When they tried to take me into the room, I grabbed either side of the doorjamb.’
- ‘The doorjambs were made of a dark wood.’
- ‘The doorjambs consist of large rectangular blocks of limestone spanning the full width of the wall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.