One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The frame in a doorway into which a door is fitted.
- ‘As I pass through the door frame, I see four shadows trying to creep secretly up the stairs.’
- ‘But parts of the eighteenth-century limestone doorcases were ‘not entirely original’ which would ‘allow for a more flexible approach to either demolishing them or allowing them to be dismantled for re-use elsewhere’.’
- ‘Use a scrap piece of wood the same size as the door frame top, and set it in the front of the form to make a frame indention.’
- ‘I'll do the skirting and door frame tomorrow, and also the bathroom door frame and radiator.’
- ‘She watched wide-eyed as the man turned back toward her, leaned against the door frame.’
- ‘He repaired a number of the items such as a door frame, a window frames and two window sills that he did not feel it was necessary to replace.’
- ‘She literally had to clutch the door frame to keep herself from collapsing.’
- ‘I looked up in my dresser mirror and saw that she was leaning against the door frame, scrutinizing me.’
- ‘The timber framed doorcases have unusual strapwork decoration and pretty teardrop style fanlights above.’
- ‘The classical doorcase with columns gradually gave way to a bold entrance embellished by carved scrolls.’
- ‘She stood in the door frame, half way between leaving the house and stepping into the chilly outdoors.’
- ‘Three hours later the woodshed had acquired a doorcase in strict neoclassical style, with pilasters, triglyphs, and a cornice, and he was looking positively pleased with himself, as he rolled off up the hill to face the music.’
- ‘A large piece of plastic tacked to the door frame will do the job quite well.’
- ‘Having made his way to the doorway he leans casually against the door frame.’
- ‘He stretched, reaching up to the corners of the door frame and hanging from them.’
- ‘Write a number on each window or door frame and write the same number on its screen.’
- ‘The council aims to delist the 18th-century doorcases at York Street flats, then knock down the building, despite vehement opposition from residents.’
- ‘Dublin City Council's own conservation department listed the doorcases for protection in January 2000, but council officials will tomorrow ask councillors to support the delisting proposals.’
- ‘His right hand was raised, almost if he had gone to grab the door frame for support but had forgotten.’
- ‘The joint between the door frame and the exterior and interior walls can be as much as an eighth of an inch gap.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.