Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A trivial ornament or gadget, especially one whose name the speaker does not know or cannot recall.‘the latest electronic doodads’
- ‘You ever seen how many dials and doodads there are in a 737 cockpit?’
- ‘My shooting bags are often filled to overflowing with bulky gadgets and doodads designed to make ‘range time’ more user-friendly.’
- ‘The company chalked up revenues of $110 million last year, some 85% of it from selling such digital doodads.’
- ‘For every digital doodad he purchased to solve a problem, a dozen new problems were created.’
- ‘I imagined inviting friends over to watch a movie in my home theater, showing off all the doodads and high-ends and low-ends, and taking great pleasure in their sheer jealousy and my creeping agoraphobia.’
- ‘The reason is simple - they're easy to use and operate, with no complicated doodads or gadgets to get in the way, break or get bent out of line.’
- ‘Despite my fondness for electronic doodads, computer upgrades and the like, I have always resisted the idea.’
- ‘Nifty high-tech doodads were a hallmark of the original television series, and included the Opticon Scillometer, a viewscreen capable of feats of surveillance that should be impossible in an age before spy satellites.’
- ‘The sad thing I felt when reading through this stuff is that I would not be surprised if he sincerely believed in what he is claiming his electronic doodad can do.’
- ‘For two years, top designers labored in secret to develop a credit-card-size phone packed with all the current doodads - camera, video playback, and MP3 player.’
Early 20th century: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.