One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Former name for July 1, a national holiday observed in Canada to commemorate the formation of the Dominion in 1867. Since 1982, it has been known as Canada Day.
- ‘This used to be called Dominion Day when I was growing up.’
- ‘This date was established by statute as Dominion Day which was changed in 1982 to Canada Day.’
- ‘In all my years of celebrating Canada Day (Dominion Day), I have never enjoyed one as much as I did this one, year 2004.’
- ‘The plant goes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week except that operations are reduced on Dominion Day, Labour Day and Christmas Day.’
- ‘Canada's most important national holiday is Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) on July 1.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.