One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) stupid; idiotic.‘a doltish character’
stupid, idiotic, moronic, imbecilic, foolish, ignorant, simple, simple-minded, dense, brainless, mindless, dull-witted, dull, slow-witted, witless, half-witted, dunce-like, slow, cretinous, empty-headed, vacuous, vapidView synonyms
- ‘You are quite wrong to suggest that only the doltish unlettered can possibly believe in them.’
- ‘Finally there's the problem of arrogance, of the almost doltish clumsiness with which the powerful and confident can pursue their goals.’
- ‘Her brother-in-law, the dashing, doltish Edward, almost brought the house down.’
- ‘Instead, we find a somewhat vulgar, vain and doltish character, who is bad with numbers, could not remember the names of the artists whose multimillion-dollar works hung on his walls, and lied about his age among other things.’
- ‘Others give in to some influences, such as friends and peer pressure, but aren't so malleable that they can be forced to do doltish things.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.