Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A translucent mineral consisting of a carbonate of calcium and magnesium.
- ‘Military personnel were called on to drop thousands of tons of sand, clay, lead, dolomite, and boron on the damaged reactor to smother the radiation stream, often without adequate protection.’
- ‘In addition to large dolomite crystals, calcite " fans " and similar structures are frequently observed.’
- ‘On the dumps I found galena, pyrite, and rugs full of quartz, dolomite, and a few tiny, water-clear fluorites.’
- ‘Orissa is rich in bauxite, the mineral that contains aluminium's raw material, as well as coal, limestone, silica, chromite, dolomite and nickel, to mention a few sources of its mineral wealth.’
- ‘A 2000 study detected lead in some supplements made from oyster shells, the mineral dolomite, and bone meal.’
- ‘Red chalcedony-lined geodes were prevalent at one time, their inclusions typically being quartz, calcite, ferroan dolomite, and iron sulfide microcrystals.’
- ‘Vein minerals are barite, calcite, ferroan dolomite, and sphalerite.’
- ‘They are easy to grow - simply make a trench in prepared soil, dust with dolomite, add some blood and bone or animal manure with a light sprinkle of sulphate of potash.’
- ‘The order of deposition for the main vein minerals typically is dolomite, barite, and quartz.’
- ‘Now, not in competition with dolomite, the quartz was able to form better-developed crystals.’
- ‘Thus. it is clear that at one point in the history of these specimens they appeared as normal quartz crystals perched upon a matrix of rhombohedral carbonate, likely dolomite.’
- ‘Barite, dolomite, and quartz crystals were scattered on the surfaces of the calcite.’
- ‘The mine produced excellent dolomite crystals that are arguably the best for the species from the United States.’
- ‘Vein minerals are ferroan dolomite, barite, calcite, pyrite, and quartz.’
- ‘Belgium is also an important producer of several industrial minerals, including limestone, dolomite, whiting, sodium sulfate, silica sand, and marble.’
- ‘Other carbonates, like dolomite, will fizz in cold acid only after they have been powdered.’
- ‘Vein minerals are aragonite, barite, calcite, dolomite, quartz, sphalerite, and whewellite.’
- ‘The concretion matrix is dominantly an interlocking mosaic of calcite, ferroan dolomite and quartz.’
- ‘Many choice specimens of sphalerite, calcite, galena, and dolomite could be collected from pillars and small areas not previously mined.’
- ‘Helicopters dropped 5,000 tonnes of sand, boron, dolomite, clay and lead onto it.’
- 1.1A sedimentary rock formed chiefly of dolomite.
- ‘There are significant differences in the clay mineral compositions of the Barton Creek dolomite, spheroid and diamictite units.’
- ‘The bedrock is dolomite with pH of 7-8, which is 15-24 m below the surface.’
- ‘It lies within the Valley and Ridge physiographic province which is characterized by a predominance of dolomite and limestone interposed with shale and sandstone.’
- ‘Near site 8, late Jurassic limestone and dolomite are shown in white.’
- ‘Shallow soils and rock outcrops of limestone or dolomite characterize these glades; dry conditions prevail during the growing season, although soils can be saturated or flooded in winter and spring.’
- ‘Warren and Cook stated that crystals of gypsum have been found as a late-stage mineral on altered dolomite.’
- ‘The same is true for dolomite in limestone, at least at relatively low temperatures.’
- ‘The chemical composition of eggshell includes calcium and phosphorus, in similar proportions to bone, or to the rock called dolomite.’
- ‘Polyphase deformation accompanied metamorphism of the original sediments, that were probably dolomite, shales and siltstones.’
- ‘Underlying the glacial deposits is approximately 330 ft of Devonian limestone and dolomite.’
- ‘The formation is composed largely of dark limestone and dolomite.’
- ‘The minerals are deposited in lakes, deltas and meander further downstream, where they build up and form sedimentary rocks such as calcite, selenite, pyrite and dolomite.’
- ‘The Blaine Formation is over 200 m thick, composed of interbedded mudstone, gypsum in beds up to 10 m thick, and has regionally traceable members of limestone and dolomite.’
- ‘Middle Triassic anhydrite and dolomite form a sequence of strong reflectors, as does Lower Cretaceous sandstone.’
- ‘It is well cemented with early iron oxide, quartz overgrowth and clay cements with some dolomite blocking pore throats.’
- ‘The host rocks for these deposits include limestone and dolomite that have undergone dissolution by low-temperature fluids, either before or during the mineralizing event.’
- ‘This correlation is also expressed in the displacement pressures from mercury injection capillary measurements, which permit the identification of four major and two minor dolomite reservoir rock types.’
- ‘Striking specimens of red cuprite-included calcite and dolomite were once commonly available.’
- ‘In the Mesozoic, and into the Paleocene, limestone and dolomite interbedded with shale, clay and anhydrite prevailed in a more restricted, shallow marine to lagoonal environment.’
- ‘He's a rugged 55-year-old American expat who runs a mining operation that supplies magnesium-rich dolomite to banana growers.’
Late 18th century: from French, from the name of Dolomieu (1750–1801), the French geologist who discovered it, + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.