Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The use of a country's financial power to extend its international influence.
- ‘One of the most striking achievements of the book is to demonstrate the reliance upon the lessons and personnel of dollar diplomacy in 1923.’
- ‘Despite its broad goals, by necessity, it is selective in its consideration of dollar diplomacy.’
- ‘For decades they used dollar diplomacy to win over nations with limited budgets where small projects building roads, bridges, wells and fisheries went a long way.’
- ‘Despite repeated protestations to the contrary by administration officials, such critics describe its foreign policy as being based almost entirely on dollar diplomacy.’
- ‘Its aid to its allies has fueled controversy and dollar diplomacy has come in for criticism.’
dollar diplomacy/ˈdälər dəˈplōməsē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.