Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The use of a country's financial power to extend its international influence.
- ‘Its aid to its allies has fueled controversy and dollar diplomacy has come in for criticism.’
- ‘One of the most striking achievements of the book is to demonstrate the reliance upon the lessons and personnel of dollar diplomacy in 1923.’
- ‘Despite repeated protestations to the contrary by administration officials, such critics describe its foreign policy as being based almost entirely on dollar diplomacy.’
- ‘Despite its broad goals, by necessity, it is selective in its consideration of dollar diplomacy.’
- ‘For decades they used dollar diplomacy to win over nations with limited budgets where small projects building roads, bridges, wells and fisheries went a long way.’
dollar diplomacy/ˈdälər dəˈplōməsē/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.