One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverbMusic
(especially as a direction) sweetly and softly.
- ‘The third of a triad may be emphasized above its root or fifth to create a ‘sweeter’ quality in a dolce passage.’
- ‘My next solo was also marked piano dolce.’
- ‘So the question is: Can flutes play dolce music?’
- ‘Though marked pianissimo and dolce, Piano I intensifies the accompaniment of the bell effects.’
- ‘The piano is often in the leading parts, and the accompanying parts play piano dolce, that's almost an entire degree softer, on the way to pianissimo.’
Italian, literally ‘sweet’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.