Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or showing tenacity and grim persistence.‘success required dogged determination’
tenacious, determined, resolute, resolved, purposeful, persistent, persevering, pertinacious, relentless, intent, dead set, single-minded, focused, dedicated, committed, undeviating, unshakeable, unflagging, indefatigable, untiring, never-tiring, tireless, unfailing, unfaltering, unwavering, unyielding, unbending, immovable, obdurate, strong-willed, firm, steadfast, steady, staunch, stout-heartedlaboriousperseverant, indurateView synonyms
- ‘For a man whose playing career was characterised by dogged resilience and bloody-minded determination, the manager cuts a very different figure.’
- ‘He's also dogged in his determination to see his own artistic vision fulfilled.’
- ‘Yet his dogged determination carried him through thousands of experiments, seventeen books, and a hundred scientific papers.’
- ‘From 1981 to 1997, no one played with as much tenacity and dogged determination as Mullen.’
- ‘This dogged persistence and determination to see it through has taken its toll, both on his finances and his emotional well being.’
- ‘The persistence, the dogged attention, the caring were what counted.’
- ‘He performs Sly with his usual care and dogged efficiency, but he never gets under the skin of the part, and the results are very bland.’
- ‘He has a dogged determination to improve his life.’
- ‘At one point he said, ‘Praise be to God, with dogged perseverance we should be able to solve our economic problems.’’
- ‘Reilly's story, one of loyalty, brotherhood, and dogged determination, captures and holds the reader's attention.’
- ‘Those who knew George knew of his dogged determination to see things through to the end.’
- ‘They simply want to get things done, and it's that steady, dogged persistence that winds up being viewed as stubbornness.’
- ‘Its sheer joy and wonder reside neither in tension nor resolve, neither verse nor chorus, but simply in dogged perseverance.’
- ‘They negotiated their gold ransom for the kidnapped girl with all the dogged, gormless determination of a ticket collector extracting an excess fare.’
- ‘He has dogged determination to win his pro card in 2002.’
- ‘There's no drive or energy here, just a sense of dogged persistence.’
- ‘From August on, the German companies will have to fight for customers against a dogged rival that has already proven it can beat them in the U.S. market.’
- ‘Howard, love him or detest him, has earned respect as a leader with incredible staying power, and dogged consistency over the years.’
- ‘For months it has been a media-driven story, fueled by dogged journalists committed to facts rather than opinions.’
- ‘She was dogged in her condemnation of those who went too far too soon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.