Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Remove (an item of clothing)‘he had doffed tie and jacket and rolled up his shirtsleeves’
lay hold of, take hold of, get hold of, get into one's handsView synonyms
- ‘Preparing for her moment, Stone doffs the crinkly jacket and sits up even straighter than before.’
- ‘The government's top spokesman turned fashion trendsetter yesterday when he doffed his tie as part of a ‘Cool Biz’ campaign to get men to dress down to save energy.’
- ‘Modern armed forces uniforms utilize synthetic materials, nonseasonal schemes, and increased informality, doffing the coat and tie for open-collar casualness.’
- ‘He had doffed his suit jacket, undone his vest buttons, and rolled his sleeves just below his elbows.’
- ‘They had all doffed their jackets and, in some cases, their outer shirts.’
- 1.1Take off or raise (one's hat) as a greeting or token of respect.‘the manager doffed his hat to her’
- ‘When's the last time 40 people doffed their hats to you?’
- ‘There was also the whole etiquette of uncovering your head in the presence of your betters and men doffing their hats to ladies and so forth.’
- ‘When Edward doffed his black top hat to the crowd, the spectators lining each side of the track erupted as if they were spectators at a pop concert.’
- ‘Every man in the room duly doffed his hat, including the other photographers, much to the approval of the Royal couple and to the dismay of the bare-headed cameramen who were too busy with their hats to attend to their lens-caps.’
- ‘‘Good afternoon, sir, nice to see you again,’ the liveried porter smiles and doffs his hat.’
Late Middle English: contraction of do off. Compare with don.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.