Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The highest degree awarded by a graduate school or other approved educational organization.‘a doctorate in Classics’
- ‘In the following year he was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Pisa.’
- ‘The main point here is that the majority of universities offering creative writing doctorates have not yet fully published their examination criteria.’
- ‘To this he added a clinical medical degree and a doctorate in neuroscience.’
- ‘He was awarded doctorates from universities all around the world and received honoraria for numerous public speeches.’
- ‘Sociology has the lowest percentage of faculty earning doctorates from the top PhD programs.’
- ‘He was awarded five honorary doctorates by universities, two in the US and three in Britain.’
- ‘In fact, two of the terrorists in our study had doctorates from Western universities, and two others were working toward their Ph.D.’
- ‘His most recent visit was last year, when he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of York.’
- ‘The thesis was published at Jena in the same year that he was awarded his doctorate.’
- ‘Earlier this year she was awarded a doctorate of letters from University of Limerick.’
- ‘Graz was the first ever university to give a doctorate in technical sciences.’
- ‘He will be joined by eight other people, ranging from academics to charity fundraisers, who will receive honorary doctorates from the university.’
- ‘His degree, a doctorate in audiology from a Florida university, followed two years of part time study.’
- ‘Both hold doctorates from English universities.’
- ‘Rudin has received many honours for her work, including at least four honorary doctorates, and will continue to receive further awards.’
- ‘As always, the report reviewed the overall trends in doctorates awarded at American universities across seven broad fields.’
- ‘She was awarded a fellowship to study for her doctorate at Cornell University.’
- ‘In 1914 Krylov was awarded a doctorate in applied mathematics from Moscow University.’
- ‘These were public employees who were expected to hold degrees or doctorates in administration or jurisprudence.’
- ‘He worked under Menger's supervision on geometry and was awarded his doctorate in 1931.’
Mid 17th century: from medieval Latin doctoratus made a doctor.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.