Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Enter into a conflict.
- ‘Religion has to accommodate science and not do battle against it.’
- ‘On the day of the storm, linemen and other employees put in a regular eight-hour workday, then prepared to do battle.’
- ‘The newer generation was impatient and ready to do battle in many different ways.’
- ‘It was inevitable that the two opposing armies would do battle, but how could they fight each other while a more pressing engagement was afoot?’
- ‘Shocked residents are preparing to do battle amid fears that there are plans to site a mobile phone mast at Burley's cricket club.’
Fight; engage in conflict.‘do battle with the forces of evil’
- ‘Then Sir Tristram asked Sir Palomides why the ten knights did battle with him.’
- ‘Both races hatred for the Romans was clear and they charged into the oncoming enemy and did battle amongst the trees.’
- ‘At the second location, Joey did battle with a large barracuda that tested his stamina.’
- ‘Unlike traditional antibiotics, which attack bacteria that have already infected some cell, the enzymes do battle with bugs on the surface of mucous membranes.’
- ‘The North American bond markets bounced around all week as investors did battle over the potential for further Federal Reserve Board interest rate hikes.’
- ‘The Texans defense sparkled last night in Denver as the first teams did battle into three quarters.’
- ‘So armed with a fly swatter and a can of Raid, Christopher did battle upstairs and Dawn did battle downstairs.’
- ‘The king of Assyria and his army encamped against the army of the king of Babylonia, which was stationed in Takrit, and did battle against them for ten days.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.