Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adjective & noun
- [as noun] ‘she had real talent for do-it-yourself’full form of DIY[as adjective] ‘easy-to-use materials and do-it-yourself kits for plumbing fittings’
- ‘For anyone who owns a home, do-it-yourself projects are a fact of life.’
- ‘Most materials are priced at least half of what they'd fetch in do-it-yourself stores.’
- ‘Welcome back to the show, where we take on a do-it-yourself task that you can do in just two days.’
- ‘Women say they enjoy do-it-yourself projects for a variety of reasons.’
- ‘Hackers are moving much faster, thanks in part to do-it-yourself worm creation kits.’
- ‘Although tools can be fun, and can open doors to new and interesting do-it-yourself projects, always keep in mind that they should never be treated as toys.’
- ‘Britain's second-largest chain of do-it-yourself stores could soon be about to change hands.’
- ‘This characteristic is usually pointed out in catalogues, on garden center signage or marked on the pack of bulbs bought at do-it-yourself stores and supermarkets.’
- ‘Parents worried that their children are taking drugs have turned to £12 do-it-yourself testing kits.’
- ‘At the other end of the market are drive-in, do-it-yourself shops, which tend to be run-down and ill-lit.’
- ‘Despite the influence of global mass communications and mass culture, Finland's do-it-yourself art is alive, well and thriving.’
- ‘Improving acoustics isn't usually a do-it-yourself project.’
- ‘Right now I have in my hot little hands, Australia's first do-it-yourself dog cloning kit.’
- ‘Well, first of all, it is a completely amateur and do-it-yourself activity.’
- ‘As do-it-yourself kits for decorative articles had been offered since 1976, amateur carvers and turners tried to fill the gap.’
- ‘Plans and kits are available, but they are not easy do-it-yourself projects and require experience in working with masonry.’
- ‘We will see widespread bypassing of the new requirements for do-it-yourself projects.’
- ‘Over the past 15 years do-it-yourself projects as a share of overall spending have declined, according to the report.’
- ‘It's spring - that means it's time to tackle do-it-yourself projects.’
- ‘If you are a relative newcomer to do-it-yourself projects, follow the construction steps presented here and seek help whenever you are unsure of the details.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.