An enzyme that catalyzes the hydrolysis of DNA into oligonucleotides and smaller molecules.Also called deoxyribonuclease
- ‘Both unswollen and swollen nuclei could be further enlarged with the addition of DNase and RNase.’
- ‘The RNA was treated with DNase to remove residual DNA and then it was reverse transcribed also as previously described.’
- ‘The combination of streptokinase and streptococcal DNase produces marked reductions in viscosity, and these can only be attributed to the presence of the streptodornase.’
- ‘Cells were broken either by a French cell press or lysozyme with a small amount of DNase 1.’
- ‘We believe that it is because of specific digestion of the NA molecules by DNase and RNase.’
1940s: from DNA + -ase.