One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the Southern Democrats who seceded from the party in 1948 in opposition to its policy of extending civil rights.
- ‘He was a traditional segregationist, though the one-time Dixiecrat had reconciled with the national Democratic Party by the time he became Armed Services chairman.’
- ‘In 1948, disgruntled southern Democrats, nicknamed Dixiecrats, launched the States' Rights party.’
- ‘A less fantasy-based analysis might have focused more on the memory of Dixiecrats filibustering civil rights legislation.’
- ‘This was a period in which the segregationist Southern Dixiecrats played a leading role in the Democratic Party as well as the Roosevelt administration.’
- ‘Fortunately, the old power base of the Dixiecrats in Congress has been transformed into the country's most solid bedrock of Republican power.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.