One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The assignment of different parts of a manufacturing process or task to different people in order to improve efficiency.
- ‘Modern society, based as it is on the division of labor, can be preserved only under conditions of lasting peace.’
- ‘Smith famously used a pin factory to explain how specialised tasks under a division of labour massively increase productivity.’
- ‘He defended free trade as necessary to the division of labor.’
- ‘The division of labor will allow for efficient innovation of new products once the basic needs of the local economy are met.’
- ‘He applies his theory to real questions of property, law, organization and the division of labor.’
- ‘But in doing so they cut themselves off from the efficiencies created by the division of labour.’
- ‘This is, in fact, a manifestation of the gains of trade and division of labor, and the growth of the market, and not vice versa.’
- ‘The scope for the division of labour and mutually profitable exchange steadily widened.’
- ‘People are appointed to different jobs within a division of labour.’
- ‘No one is forced to join the specialized division of labor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.