One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elevated board projecting over a swimming pool or other body of water, from which people dive or jump in.
- ‘The facility has no diving boards, but sports an eight-lane Colorado Time Systems scoreboard and an on-deck whirlpool and dry sauna.’
- ‘A diving board and three entrance ladders, along with marble angels adorned it.’
- ‘An Olympic sized swimming pool boasted a diving board and slide, and a gas barbecue was just begging to be used next to a picnic table.’
- ‘Chelsea screamed from over on the other side of the pool, getting ready to jump off the diving board.’
- ‘Others dived nimbly off the diving board into blue water of the deep end of the huge swimming pool.’
- ‘It was like he had just jumped off a diving board and belly flopped on the concrete below.’
- ‘The other pool was a plain old rectangle with some swimming lanes, diving boards and water nets.’
- ‘But our local swimming pool never had a diving board so I was slightly concerned when I had to jump off.’
- ‘So when they walked into the pool area, he took his post and she dived off the diving board.’
- ‘It felt as if she was jumping off the high diving board, terrified with air rushing past her.’
- ‘Avery only learned this summer and that was the day he dived off the diving board.’
- ‘Shaylee yelled as she jumped off the diving board doing a cannonball.’
- ‘Scarborough magistrates heard yesterday that John dived from a diving board around 3pm.’
- ‘It's not big, but it has a floating dock 10 metres out with a diving board and the water is relatively algae free.’
- ‘Ethan jumped off the diving board, and I slid in on the side.’
- ‘Chessa did a perfect swan dive off the diving board into rippling water below her.’
- ‘I walked straight to the diving board and dived in.’
- ‘Every year at school he opened the swimming season by diving from the high diving board; something his pupils never forgot.’
- ‘I did take a picture of Bree jumping off the diving board, which would turn out to look pretty cool.’
- ‘When the three Mayer's were done jumping from the diving board, it was Leo's turn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.