One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open-bottomed chamber supplied with compressed air, in which a person can be let down under water.
- ‘Alexander the Great is reputed to have gone down in a diving bell, while Roman urinatores (free divers) apparently salvaged cargo from a wreck 20m deep off the south of France.’
- ‘One couple was shown exchanging vows submerged in an aquarium tank, diving bells over their heads, while tropical fish swam past.’
- ‘Persico was among 33 survivors who rode to the surface in a nine-ton diving bell lowered by a rescue ship.’
- ‘The diving bell had loads of lights hanging above it, but as you looked down, you couldn't see the Kursk.’
- ‘Civilian divers have used the SLS for several years as an emergency means of returning to the diving bell if there is a problem with oxygen hoses.’
- ‘But the weather conditions impact enormously on the kind of operation which I believe they've been doing, which has been putting diving bells down.’
- ‘When Squalus sank off Portsmouth, New Hampshire, the Navy had just placed into service a diving bell for submarine rescue.’
- ‘G.P. would regularly build model airplanes, hot-air balloons, or diving bells.’
- ‘Hoisting a diving bell with a crane and maneuvering it through a small apartment at dawn is not easy.’
- ‘We might have to jury rig the diving bell to use it as a delivery system.’
- ‘Named after the sucking fish, Remora is a 16.5 tonne remotely operated rescue vehicle built about a diving bell.’
- ‘My diving bell becomes less oppressive, and my mind takes flight like a butterfly.’
- ‘It's big and copper and shaped like a diving bell.’
- ‘A connection point for a diving bell or Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle allows collective rescue operations.’
- ‘I am standing inside a convincing facsimile of a diving bell, gazing out through a porthole at a simulated sea.’
- ‘Like a man in a diving bell whose air supply has been cut off, my mind leapt between bouts of panic and thoughts of suffocation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.