One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open-bottomed chamber supplied with compressed air, in which a person can be let down under water.
- ‘Named after the sucking fish, Remora is a 16.5 tonne remotely operated rescue vehicle built about a diving bell.’
- ‘I am standing inside a convincing facsimile of a diving bell, gazing out through a porthole at a simulated sea.’
- ‘One couple was shown exchanging vows submerged in an aquarium tank, diving bells over their heads, while tropical fish swam past.’
- ‘G.P. would regularly build model airplanes, hot-air balloons, or diving bells.’
- ‘We might have to jury rig the diving bell to use it as a delivery system.’
- ‘It's big and copper and shaped like a diving bell.’
- ‘A connection point for a diving bell or Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle allows collective rescue operations.’
- ‘Civilian divers have used the SLS for several years as an emergency means of returning to the diving bell if there is a problem with oxygen hoses.’
- ‘The diving bell had loads of lights hanging above it, but as you looked down, you couldn't see the Kursk.’
- ‘Persico was among 33 survivors who rode to the surface in a nine-ton diving bell lowered by a rescue ship.’
- ‘My diving bell becomes less oppressive, and my mind takes flight like a butterfly.’
- ‘When Squalus sank off Portsmouth, New Hampshire, the Navy had just placed into service a diving bell for submarine rescue.’
- ‘Like a man in a diving bell whose air supply has been cut off, my mind leapt between bouts of panic and thoughts of suffocation.’
- ‘But the weather conditions impact enormously on the kind of operation which I believe they've been doing, which has been putting diving bells down.’
- ‘Hoisting a diving bell with a crane and maneuvering it through a small apartment at dawn is not easy.’
- ‘Alexander the Great is reputed to have gone down in a diving bell, while Roman urinatores (free divers) apparently salvaged cargo from a wreck 20m deep off the south of France.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.