One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural diverticulaAnatomy Zoology
1A blind tube leading from a cavity or passage.
- ‘The dorsal diverticulum becomes the body and tail, and the ventral diverticulum becomes the head.’
- 1.1Medicine An abnormal sac or pouch formed at a weak point in the wall of the alimentary tract.
- ‘Bacterial colonization of the airways leads to further inflammation and the formation of diverticula in the bronchial tree.’
- ‘Saccular diverticula of the laryngeal ventricle are often reported.’
- ‘A urethral diverticula is usually identified as a distal bulge under the urethra.’
- ‘After neurulation, paired cavities called Hatschek's diverticula (possible pituitary homologue) form in the head endoderm.’
- ‘Rectal diverticulum to side tube usually spontaneously occurs in one week.’
Early 19th century: from medieval Latin, variant of Latin deverticulum ‘byway’, from devertere ‘turn down or aside’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.