Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A blind tube leading from a cavity or passage.
- ‘The dorsal diverticulum becomes the body and tail, and the ventral diverticulum becomes the head.’
- 1.1Medicine An abnormal sac or pouch formed at a weak point in the wall of the alimentary tract.
- ‘A urethral diverticula is usually identified as a distal bulge under the urethra.’
- ‘After neurulation, paired cavities called Hatschek's diverticula (possible pituitary homologue) form in the head endoderm.’
- ‘Bacterial colonization of the airways leads to further inflammation and the formation of diverticula in the bronchial tree.’
- ‘Saccular diverticula of the laryngeal ventricle are often reported.’
- ‘Rectal diverticulum to side tube usually spontaneously occurs in one week.’
Early 19th century: from medieval Latin, variant of Latin deverticulum byway from devertere turn down or aside.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.